Labeling Equipment Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Labeling Equipment covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Industry Outlook & Drivers
Global Market Outlook on Labeling Equipment
The global demand for packaging machinery in 2023(F): CAGR 6.7% USD 62.06 billion.
- FDA regulations, enabling the market growth: The labeling equipment market is expected to witness a strong growth in the next four years, due to stringent regulations (serialization), imposed by Food & Drug administration authorities, worldwide, which demands companies to label their products accurately
- Some of the significant factors impacting the global packaging machinery market include development of innovative and energy-efficient packaging machinery, increasing usage of automation in the packaging industry, rise in global consumption of consumer goods, increasing usage of vacuum packaging machines, Eurozone economic uncertainty, and stringent government regulations
- Asia-Pacific was the most dominant region for the packaging machinery market in 2016, accounting for about 38% in the global packaging machinery market. The dominance of the Asia-Pacific region is due to the presence of a large number of food & beverage and personal care product manufacturers in the region
Global Labeling Equipment Market and End-User Analysis
Global labeling equipment market is estimated to be at USD 5.2 billion in 2016 and is forecasted to grow at a CAGR of 4% until 2023. Labeling and packaging requirements from food & beverage and pharmaceuticals are driving the demand of labeling equipment globally.
- Food & beverage industry is driving the demand for labeling equipment. The stringent regulations, imposed by the FDA, toward mandatory labeling, which contains the details of the products, aid the industry growth
- Pharma industry faces less economic fluctuations and the Drug Quality Security Act (DQSA) is compelling companies to change their supply chain processes and adopt the new labeling standards, such as serialization standards are driving the labeling equipment market growth
- The labeling standards in the chemical and cosmetic industry are rapidly evolving, since chemicals are highly regulated through local, state, national, and international entities
- Other industries comprises of various industries, such as electronics, automotive, retail, stationery, consumer durables, and paints
Global Labels Market- Volume Vs Value
Pressure sensitive label technology is the most commonly used labeling technology preferred by the end users followed by wet glue and shrink sleeves respectively.
Global Labels Consumption - Market Volume (2016–2017)
- Pressure sensitive labeling technology is leading the market place, in terms of value, followed closely by wet glue and shrink sleeve labels
- Market for shrink sleeve labeling (SSL)?is growing faster (CAGR 5%) than any other labeling process. There are several reasons for this success.
- Factors include:
-The larger area available for graphics on high-shrinkage, full-body sleeves naturally presents designers with greater opportunity for creativity
-The extra space also facilitates the positioning of data, such as volume, contents, barcode, and other legally required information, as well as enabling producers to add messages and communications of their own
-By covering the whole bottle including the cap, the label sleeve can also serve effectively as a seal
Labeling Market Trends
A single labeling equipment integrates other application units, such as cut-and-stack, inspection, etc., to function as a multiple technologies machine. This is made available to the customers on their customized requirements for labeling of bottles, cartons, pails, etc.
Increasing labeling speeds
- Never-ending demand for lowering costs, lead times are brining about the competition among the labeling equipment manufacturers in 2017
- Growth in technology and competitive pressures makes manufacturers design equipment whose throughput will be over 54,000 bottles per hour. E.g., Sidel
- Waste reduction continues to be a key trend in the labeling and package printing industry during 2017. Brands are expected to make more effort to decrease the overall amount of packaging that they use
- This could involve using only labels, instead of labels plus primary packaging, reducing the thickness and weight of glass and cardboard containers, and possibly even replacing loose inserts with innovative multi-page labels
Added shelf appeal
- Visionary brands are expected to add more ‘wow factor' to their labels and packaging
- There is a growing demand for on the pack communication device, not only as additional space to expand your brand story, but also as a platform for exciting finishes, such as glitter, foil and screen printing, a scent, and possibly even smart technology that activates a mobile or loyalty campaign
Serialized label coding
- The integration of coding equipment into a labeling machine has been enabled, due to the transition toward serialized GS1 codes or 2D bar codes, which is made possible in part by shrinking the size of the coding equipment
- Brexit and the outcome of the US presidential elections have signaled a possible de-globalization trend in 2017, where markets could become less international. This could affect those companies that ship their products to more than one country. One way to manage the associated risks is to print one multi-lingual label rather than produce multiple packaging designs for different markets