Global Market Outlook on e-COA
e-COA has been a long discussed topic, but the adoption rate has been really slow owing to various factors including regulations not being lined properly. This is expected to change in the coming years, with more than 20–25% of overall trials expected to incorporate e-COA solutions.
E-COA is expected to be the most attractive type of solution in the global e-PRO, e-COA and e-Patient Diaries market. The need for improving safety for patients in clinical trial is the main reason for the growth of this market, with the digital trials picking up pace.
- eCOA segment is expected to grow at an increased rate, contributing to 66 percent of the ePRO, eCOA and e-Patient Diaries market
- Close to 15 percent of the trials are integrated with e-COA solutions and is expected to rise by almost 20 percent by 2018
- It is noticed that there is a change in the preference moving from a web-based system to a cloud –based system owing to the benefits involved
- Owing to ease of operations and availability of infrastructure, web-based solutions are dominating the market. However, cloud based systems are expected to grow at a faster pace mainly due to the benefits involved
Cost –effective development means, easy installation, maintenance and customization are the major reason for predominance of web-based solutions. However, with the rise in the shift to cloud systems, will open up opportunities for such solutions.
Cloud adoption among pharma has observed a growth of approximately 20 percent over a period of 6 years.
Market /Technology Trends
With the industry relying upon technology to a greater extent, suppliers in the industry are advancing with ideas to make trial process and experience better.
The next wave of BYOD (in E-COA) that manages to support research, in terms of data collection from verbal computer interfaces and wearable/external devices is critical.
- Currently adoption is more in post-approval research. With the regulatory bodies promoting remote trials and e-tools to collect patient data, there will be an increasing growth
- BYOD 2.0 devices are being explored in phase III trials is also observed
- E.g. CRF health was chosen by an European Pharma to perform Phase III Insomnia trial
Number of CROs and Sponsors
- Continuous evolution of various technologies in the life science industry, there is an increasing demand for clinical trial technologies in healthcare centers and hospitals
- Due to the advancements in clinical trial technologies, there is increase in the number of sponsors and CROs in healthcare
Usage of Smart Devices
- With the advancements in technology, smartphone applications being offered for easy monitoring and analyzing the patient data that is tracked is one of the prominent features of using smartphones in clinical outcome assessment
- Also with the increase in use of smart and mobile devices across globe, the demand for e-PRO and e-COA is increasing in the market