Directional Drilling Services
Directional drilling is a technique of controlling trajectory and deviation of a wellbore, along a pre-planned path to tap the oil from targeted locations, which otherwise would have been left inaccessible
AI-powered self-service platform for all your sourcing decision needs across 1,600+ categories llike Directional Drilling Services.
Market Data, Sourcing & Supplier Intelligence, and Price & Cost Benchmarking.
Pantheon Resources updates on Alkaid #2 wellAugust 01, 2022
US and Canada rig counts increase by 9 units this weekAugust 04, 2022
TotalEnergies extends drilling contractAugust 17, 2022
Become a Beroe LiVE.Ai™ Subscriber to receive proactive alerts on Directional Drilling Services
Directional Drilling Services Market Monitoring Dashboard
Understand the correlation between costs, margins, and prices impacting your category on a real time basis on Beroe LiVE.Ai™
Directional Drilling Services Industry Benchmarks
The average annual savings achieved in Directional Drilling Services category is 16.40%
The industry average payment terms in Directional Drilling Services category for the current quarter is 30.0 days
Compare your category performance against peers and industry benchmarks across 20+ parameters on Beroe LiVE.Ai™
Category Strategy and Flexibility
Price per Unit Competitiveness
Minimum Order Quality
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
Abi, the AI-powered digital assistant brings together data, insights, and intelligence for faster answers to sourcing questions
Directional Drilling Services Suppliers
Find the right-fit directional drilling services supplier for your specific business needs and filter by location, industry, category, revenue, certifications, and more on Beroe LiVE.Ai™.
Use the Directional Drilling Services market, supplier and price information for category strategy creation and Quaterly Business Reviews (QRBs)
Directional Drilling Services market frequently asked questions
According to Beroe's directional drilling services market report, the market was estimated at $9.01 billion in 2018. By the end of 2021, it is expected to reach $10.77 billion growing at a CAGR of 6.13 percent.
Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, Halliburton, Weatherford, Scientific Drilling are the top global players contributing to more than 60 percent of the total directional drilling services market size. Over the years, Schlumberger has been the market leader with a global share of about 30 percent.
As most of the producing wells have reached their matured stage, North America and the Middle East regions are highly lucrative markets for directional drilling.
The following factors drive the growth of the drilling services market. ' Discovery of new oil fields due to directional drilling ' Complex geological oil field structures and Shale are the key drivers for the market in North America and APAC ' High number of maturing oil fields in onshore and offshore applications ' Ease of onshore mobility allowing multiple usages of directional drilling services ' Recovering crude oil prices
The emerging renewable energy markets and the stringent government and environmental regulatory prices are turning out to be major constraints for the drilling services market.
As per Beroe's drilling services market outlook reports, North America holds the largest market share followed by the Middle East. As more projects come up in the near future, the demand from these regions will dominate the market.
The supplier power is pushed to medium due to the stabilizing crude oil prices although the criticality, complexity, and technology that the services involved are high. Suppliers gain an added advantage because of the high costs involved in the switching and learning curve that limit buyers from switching among the suppliers. Moreover, the horizontal directional drilling market is consolidated by four major players globally.
The first reason is, a majority of the equipment used in directional drilling services is patented to major service providers due to which buyer power is less. Secondly, the equipment and services are quite complex which makes the buyer rely on major suppliers.
After the crude oil price crash, many players downsized their tools and equipment leading to a shortage of availability. Consequently, this might cause a noticeable rise in prices in the future.
Directional Drilling Services market report transcript
Global Market Outlook Directional Drilling Services
- The global directional drilling market is estimated to be $8.27 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach $10.11 billion by the end of 2023, with a CAGR of 6.9 percent. In Q2 2020, the directional drilling market across all the regions is expected to decline, due to low activities
- The directional drilling market is highly consolidated by top four global suppliers, constituting to more than 60 percent of the market share
- Matured production wells are likely to drive the directional drilling services market in North America and the Middle East regions
- Directional drilling is a technique of controlling trajectory and deviation of a wellbore, along a pre-planned path to tap the oil from targeted locations, which otherwise would have been left inaccessible
- Directional drilling allows drilling of deviated/horizontal wells, wells with multiple angles, multilateral wells from the same horizontal wellbore, to reach multiple targets as well as multiple wells from the same location, thereby saving time and cost
- The directional services market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 6.13 percent from 2018 to 2021 to reach $10.30 billion by 2021
- The supply of complete directional drilling services is consolidated to major service providers. Schlumberger has been a leader in this segment over the years, with a market share of 30 percent globally
- Globally, North America holds the largest market share, followed by the Middle East, and the demand from this region is expected to dominate in the forecasted period, as more projects are coming up in the near future
Market Drivers and Constraints
- Directional drilling has helped in new oil field discoveries, which otherwise would have been challenging to tap because of geographical location
- Complex geological structures and Shale are the key drivers for directional drilling in North America and APAC
- Nearly, 70 percent of the world's oil & gas production accounts from mature fields. This high number of maturing fields in onshore and offshore applications would demand directional drilling to tap the maximum reserves, in order to meet the increased demand globally
- Ease of mobility in onshore regions allows multiple usages of directional drilling services. This can save a lot of lost time and cost by making the most efficient use of the equipment
- Rebounding oil prices are driving the companies to carry out E&P activities
- Increasing focus on renewable energy, such as solar, wind, etc., globally is a major concern
- Stringent regulatory policies and environmental concerns might hold back the market
- Monthly rentals vary from $359,220 to $404,573 in the global market, depending on the suppliers
- The North American market has the highest prevailing monthly rates, due to the increased number of E&P activities in the Gulf of Mexico and for shale gas
- Long-term contracts with an assured number of jobs can provide better cost efficiency to the operator
- Top-tier suppliers are the global suppliers, who charge a premium pricing
- Low-tier suppliers are restricted to a particular state or a region in a country with limited operations
- At times, supplier tends to cross-subsidize the personnel day rates with equipment rental to win contracts
Directional Drilling Market Overview
- Stabilizing crude oil price pushes the supplier power to medium, even though criticality, complexity and technology involved in directional drilling services are high.
- High switching and learning curve costs incurred would limit the buyer to switch among the suppliers, giving suppliers an added advantage.
- The horizontal directional drilling market is consolidated by major four players globally, giving an upper hand to the suppliers.
- Majority of equipment used in directional drilling services are patented to major service providers and are limited to certain providers. Hence, buyer power is less.
- Complexity of equipment and service, the value it adds to the buyer in decision making make the buyer to rely on major suppliers.
- Low-tier segments exhibit a power shift toward buyers, but high-tier segments are dominated by the major players in the market.
- Following the crude oil price crash, many players have downsized their tools and equipment, resulting in a shortage of availability, which might cause a noticeable increase in prices in the near future.
- Slumberger is a dominant player, in terms of directional drilling market share (more than 30 percent) and technology advancement.
- The top companies provide lower or breakeven pricing, in order to protect its market share or a particular client.
- Barrier to entry is high, due to huge capital expenditure.
- Nearly, 80 percent of the directional drilling service cost is incurred by the equipment, which makes the entry of new players difficult.
- Manufactures and service companies spend a significant amount of time and money on research and development to meet the challenges and to be competitive in the directional drilling market
Why You Should Buy This Report
- Information about directional drilling services market size, overview, drivers and constraints, etc.
- Porter’s five force analysis of the global directional drilling market.
- Cost analysis and cost breakup.
- directional drilling procurement intelligence, engagement models, contract practices.