Global Market Outlook on Vials and Ampoules
The global vials and ampoules market is expected to grow at 6–7 percent CAGR in 2017–2021 to reach $12.4 billion, driven by the increasing consumption of vaccines, biopharmaceuticals, and insulin, especially in the emerging markets
Regional Demand Overview
The growing consumption of parenteral packaging in the emerging markets would led the suppliers to expand their manufacturing facilities in countries, such as Thailand, China, Malaysia, India, etc., over the next five years
Global Market Size: Parenteral Containers
- The global demand for parenteral packaging, which is forecasted at 9 – 10 percent CAGR in 2017 – 2021, would be largely driven by increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, growing geriatric population, and the preference for injection-based treatments. Additionally, the shift in preference for packaging material from glass to plastics would also influence value growth.
- The global parenteral packaging market is driven by the growing complexity of drugs, fostered by increasing lifestyle diseases, increasing health awareness, and aging population. The emerging region is expected to contribute to a major portion of growth, with a CAGR of over 10 percent in 2017–2021
- The key end-use segments are insulin, biopharmaceutical, and vaccines, which expected a strong demand of over 10 percent CAGR, facilitating growth. APAC and LATAM are expected to grow at a CARG of 13–14 percent from 2017 to 2021, owing to and rising demand for injectable drugs in these regions
- Ampoules and vials are the largest segments in parenteral packaging, contributing to over 70 percent. However, the market is being penetrated by prefilled syringes, which is growing at a CAGR of 13–14 percent (2017– 2021). Advancements in delivery devices, like auto injectors, are also gaining main stage in parenteral delivery
Global Market Size: Vials and Ampoules
- Growing complexity of drugs and increasing lifestyle diseases, like diabetes, are likely to foster growth in vials and ampoules, driven by rapid consumption from the emerging markets, like India and China.
- The global vials and ampoules market is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~6–7 percent from 2017 to 2021, majorly driven by the increasing consumption of vaccines, biopharmaceuticals, and insulin, especially in the emerging markets
- Vials and ampoules is the largest segment in parenteral packaging. The global pharma trend of increasing focus towards biopharmaceuticals is expected to facilitate sustained vials and ampoules demand over the next five years until 2021
- More than 80 percent of the vials and ampoules are in glass format, owing to its suitability with varied drug combination, but faces challenges like delamination, breakage, etc. Alternative plastic vial options, like COP, COC formats, are likely to gain significant market share in the next five years