The global demand is expected to grow at 4 - 5 percent CAGR for sulfur and 2 percent CAGR for sulfuric acid through 2016 - 2022 Asia (high population zones: China and India) is expected to drive the demand for sulfur
AI-powered self-service platform for all your sourcing decision needs across 1,600+ categories llike Sulfuric Acid.
Market Data, Sourcing & Supplier Intelligence, and Price & Cost Benchmarking.
Sulfuric Acid Market Monitoring Dashboard
Understand the correlation between costs, margins, and prices impacting your category on a real time basis on Beroe LiVE.Ai™
Sulfuric Acid Industry Benchmarks
The average annual savings achieved in Sulfuric Acid category is 6.50%
The industry average payment terms in Sulfuric Acid category for the current quarter is 75.0 days
Compare your category performance against peers and industry benchmarks across 20+ parameters on Beroe LiVE.Ai™
Category Strategy and Flexibility
Price per Unit Competitiveness
Minimum Order Quality
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
Abi, the AI-powered digital assistant brings together data, insights, and intelligence for faster answers to sourcing questions
Sulfuric Acid Suppliers
Find the right-fit sulfuric acid supplier for your specific business needs and filter by location, industry, category, revenue, certifications, and more on Beroe LiVE.Ai™.
Use the Sulfuric Acid market, supplier and price information for category strategy creation and Quaterly Business Reviews (QRBs)
Sulfuric Acid market report transcript
Global Market Outlook on Sulfuric Acid
Sulfuric acid is one of the key substances in the chemicals industry. The mineral acid with the formula H2 SO4 is a strong acid and is corrosive. Its most common application is in the fertilizer-chemicals industry, where it is used to prepare sulfur fertilizers. It is used for mineral processing, oil refining, and as an industrial cleaning agent. It is used to make acidic drain cleaners. Sulfuric acid is also used in the textiles industry.
The key players in this industry are BASF Se, DuPont de Nemours, INEOS, PVS Chemicals, Chung Hwa Chemical Industries, etc. The Sulfuric acid market is segmented based on region, raw material, and applications. In terms of regions, the segmentation is done as Asia-Pacific, North America, Europe, South America, and Middle-East & Africa. In terms of the raw material used, the market segmentation is done as elemental sulfur, pyrite ore, and base metal smelters. In terms of applications, it is segmented as fertilizers, chemicals, manufacturing, metal processing, paper & pulp, refineries, and textiles.
The slowdown in manufacturing due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the volatility in the prices of raw materials are challenges before the industry. The need for water treatment plants in industries, the demand for detergents, and the demand from the automobile sector are opportunities that are likely to help the growth of the industry.
- The global demand is expected to grow at 4–5 percent CAGR for sulfur and 2 percent CAGR for sulfuric acid through 2016–2022.
- Asia (high population zones: China and India) is expected to drive the demand for sulfur.
- Sulfuric acid usage in the chemicals segment is also expected to increase by about 1 percent CAGR during the same period.
The global sulfuric acid market is expected to reach $87.9 billion by 2024
- The key market driving end-user is the agriculture segment (used for producing phosphoric acid, and in turn, phosphate (fertilizers).
- Global agriculture production is expected and being aimed to grow at 1–2 percent per year in the next decade, which is likely to be a key driver for the sulfuric acid market.
The global demand is expected to grow at 4–5 percent CAGR for sulfur and 2 percent CAGR for sulfuric acid through 2016–2022
Asia (high population zones: China and India) is expected to drive the demand for sulfur
The Chinese phosphate industry has witnessed a slump in 2016, which has begun to pick up in late Q4 2016 and expected to improve consumption of both the commodities for the coming years Sulfuric acid usage in the chemicals segment is also expected to increase by about 1 percent CAGR during the same period
Global Capacity–Demand Analysis
- In the long run, all the key production markets are likely to get self-sustained, which is expected to export sulfur to import in regions like LATAM and Africa.
- This is likely to shift negotiation power toward buyers in the markets, like North America, in the next 3–4 years.
- Capacity dynamics: Sulfur production is expected to increase by about 27 percent from 2016 to 2021. Sulfur is primarily produced during crude oil and natural gas refining (>96 percent of the total production). Crude production is expected to increase in the coming years as per WOO, stating population growth by 11 percent until 2022. One such scenario can be seen where rig counts in the US increased from 700 levels in 2016 to 1,900 levels by early 2017. The increased oil output is likely to improve sulfur production as well. The rest is produced from Pyrites and mining activities of sulfur deposits.
- Key consumption regions: China (28 percent), the US (18 percent), and Middle East & Africa (18 percent).
- Key producing regions: China (17 percent), the US (12 percent), Russia (10 percent), and Canada (8 percent.
- Concept of negative pricing: Instances were noticed in 2009 when negative pricing was prevalent in the US, due to excess supply and economic recession, where agriculture activities slumped to a large extent. However, though such a scenario is unlikely in the future, extensive discounts or allowances in the prices of sulfur are likely in the key markets, when they attain self-sufficiency and find it difficult to place the material in the international markets.