Sodium Cyanide Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Sodium Cyanide covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Industry Outlook & Drivers
Global Sodium Cyanide Market Outlook
- Global sodium cyanide capacity stood at 1,246 Thousand MT during 2017. The market is oversupplied in major markets, like the US, Europe, and APAC
- Capacity expansion is expected to increase in North America; however, in other regions, no such capacity expansions are expected
- The sodium cyanide market share is split as follows: North America: 15 percent, EU: 8 percent and APAC: 50 percent.
- Raw material accounts for more than 60 percent of the cost of cyanide across all the major markets.
- The global sodium cyanide market capacity was 1,246 Thousand MT in 2018 and the global demand is expected to witness a CAGR of 4.1 percent by 2022
- Sodium cyanide contract prices are fixed, based on the feedstock cost and the conversion involved in the manufacturing of resin.
- The widely used industry pricing methodology is: Sodium Cyanide Price = Feedstock Cost + Conversion Cost + Producer Margin
Global Capacity–Demand Analysis
Sodium cyanide demand from the gold mining industry constitutes only for approx. 7–8 percent of the total cyanide demand. Sodium cyanide is a low-volume buying downstream segment for both the caustic soda and ammonia markets
- The global sodium cyanide market is oversupplied with 456 Thousand MT of excess capacity in 2017
- About 55 percent of the new capacity expansion occurred in the US, while 42 percent occurred in APAC during 2014–2015
- The precious metal mining industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3–4 percent in Africa and 2–3 percent in the APAC and Oceania regions, facilitating a similar growth in sodium cyanide consumption
- Demand from these regions will serve the key drivers for the global sodium cyanide trade
- The US mining industry is expected to increase marginally in the coming years, followed by favorable policy changes
Global Demand by Application
- Mining industry buyers will continue to hold maximum bargaining potential, owing to positive growth rate and high volume
- Demand from small-volume applications, like chemical intermediates and performance materials, is expected to remain on a higher note
- Growth in demand for sodium cyanide from electroplating is expected to slowdown, owing to the increasing awareness about its ill effects
Downstream Demand Outlook
- The industry will remain as a key demand driver for sodium cyanide across the globe
- Given the volume and better pricing recieved by sodium cyanide producers from the mining industry, buyers from the sector will hold the maximum negotitation potential
- Sodium cyanide is been widely used by electroplating companies across the world for its better blending properties
- Sodium cyanide demqnd is expected to decrease, as it is being increasingly replaced by other product-specific subsititutes
- There is increasing awareness about the harmful after-effects of sodium cyanide plating. So, demand from this industry is expected to be less
- Demand from other industries, like research, chemical intermediates, and performance additives, is expected to remain high
Industry Drivers and Constraints
Mining Activity and Investment Markets
- Increase in mining activity would mean an increase in demand for sodium cyanide
- Any unfavorable movement in the cash market would increase the investment in gold and other precious metals. This, in turn, would increase the demand for sodium cyanide by manifold
- Stringent environmental regulations had increased the production cost of sodium cyanide
- Regulations have impacted both production and distribution of the material
- Recent example of Cyanco' s rail road building issue can be stated for increase in regulations and awareness among the public about having a sodium cyanide supply chain in their vicinity
The sodium cyanide market size is expected to expand steadily until 2022, driven by demand from the mining sector.The market growth, in terms of volume, is higher than that of the growth, in terms of dollar value, mainly due to the prevailing excess supply.Majority of sodium cyanide imports to Africa comes from South Korea and Australia, which are basically AGA trade routes.Raw material, especially hydrogen cyanide, is the major driver of the price of cyanide.
The production cost of sodium cyanide is lower in the US and Australia when compared to other regions, due to low raw material cost.Utility cost contributes to about 9–16 percent of the total production cost of cyanide and labor cost contributes to about 3–7 percent. On a global scale, the sodium cyanide market is consolidated with top four players; holding nearly 50 percent of the capacity share.
Why You Should Buy This Report
The report gives the global and regional market outlook, supply-demand trend analysis and Porter’s five force report of areas like North America, Europe and Asia. It lists out the industry drivers and constraints and provides the cost structure analysis of sodium cyanide. It gives supplier profile and SWOT analysis of key global players like Anhui Shuguang Chemical Group, Cyanco, Hebei Chengxin, etc.