Product Engineering Services
Product engineering services include innovating, designing, prototyping, developing, testing and deploying a software product
AI-powered self-service platform for all your sourcing decision needs across 1,600+ categories llike Product Engineering Services.
Market Data, Sourcing & Supplier Intelligence, and Price & Cost Benchmarking.
Product Engineering Services Industry Benchmarks
The average annual savings achieved in Product Engineering Services category is 4.00%
The industry average payment terms in Product Engineering Services category for the current quarter is 90.0 days
Compare your category performance against peers and industry benchmarks across 20+ parameters on Beroe LiVE.Ai™
Category Strategy and Flexibility
Price per Unit Competitiveness
Minimum Order Quality
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
Abi, the AI-powered digital assistant brings together data, insights, and intelligence for faster answers to sourcing questions
Product Engineering Services Suppliers
Find the right-fit product engineering services supplier for your specific business needs and filter by location, industry, category, revenue, certifications, and more on Beroe LiVE.Ai™.
Use the Product Engineering Services market, supplier and price information for category strategy creation and Quaterly Business Reviews (QRBs)
Product Engineering Services market frequently asked questions
From Beroe's market research reports, the product engineering services market size will reach $1,185 billion by 2022 from $810 billion in 2018 growing at a CAGR of 9.8-10 percent.
Accenture, ALTEN Calsoft Labs, Altran, Cognizant, EPAM, Harman, HCL, Luxoft, Pactera, TCS, and Wipro are among the top players in the global product engineering services market.
Reducing the time taken for development is the number one trend responsible for driving the growth of software product engineering services. This also helps the vendor to achieve quick delivery cycles of the product thereby accelerating the 'time-to-market' criteria of the product among the vendors.
The major end-users for software product engineering services are automobiles, independent software vendors, healthcare, telecom, educational institutions, BFSI, aerospace, and other industries.
As the U.S. spends more in R&D as compared to India, China, and other countries from Central and Eastern Europe, software product engineering services companies are more concentrated in the U.S.
Service providers in the software product engineering services are evaluated based on their technological capability, employee availability with desired skills.
Cloud-based deployments are becoming more feasible, reliable, and secure owing to established providers like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft.
Due to certain security considerations and regulatory requirements, banks and financial institutions prefer keeping their systems deployed on-premise. Additionally, the disadvantages of vendor lock-in can be eliminated with on-premise solutions.
The key market drivers for product engineering services are ' ' ISVs who are specialized in developing and selling the software designed for the masses. ' With the growing demand for IoT, many service providers have created a separate IoT engineering portfolio. ' The shift towards leveraging automation for testing activities due to agile development methodologies.
The market constraints faced by the software product engineering services are ' With a majority of the clients opting for outsourcing, the confidentiality of product development may be lost. ' Communication gap about the product requirements between the designer and developer ' Failure to determine the availability of technical features and functionalities before the product development phase ' While outsourcing the services, partnership, and communication between the client and service provider becomes challenging.
Product Engineering Services market report transcript
Global Market Outlook
- The global product engineering services market is projected to grow at the CAGR of 1–3% to reach $1.50 Tn by 2023, primarily driven by growing investment in transport, industrial, non-residential, and commercial infrastructure sectors in the emerging economies.
- The majority of the firms in this industry operate in their national/regional markets owing to:
- - Expertise in specialized engineering services, and
- - Myriads of regional regulations
- A trend of mergers and alliances of various global product engineering firms has increased foothold in a single market segment over the past decade. Larger suppliers in the market are more acquisitive and look to acquire smaller suppliers.
- The global product engineering services market is highly fragmented across all regions, with the top 30 firms accounting for around 12–14% of the market share. In the US, several firms are indulging in a horizontal merger, due to the increasing demand for a ‘one-stop-shop' for ED solutions.
- Buyers from the process industry, especially biotechnology, chemical, and pharmaceutical sectors, prefer engaging with service providers who provide turnkey solutions in designing advanced technology facilities.
- High engineering services market maturity regions include North America, Western Europe, and Australia. Medium engineering services market maturity regions are India, China, Brazil, Chile, and Mexico. The engineering services industry outlook shows that there are new investments for industry expansion and large infrastructure investments in countries such as India, Indonesia and China are fueling the growth of ED services. The engineering services market analysis shows that increased outsourcing to emerging economies benefits developed economies, due to the availability of a low-cost talent pool.
Engineering Services Market Outlook
- The global ED industry was projected to grow at a CAGR of 4–5% by 2020. The demand for ED services is driven by infrastructure, facilities management, residential and industrial sectors, seeking process efficiency in the construction phase.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) has become an increasingly favorable destination for outsourcing ED services among players in the European Union (EU) and the US, citing a low-cost talent pool.
- Large construction firms, especially with revenue of more than $1 Bn, increase their acquisition activities as a part of their strategy, in order to integrate design and construction together.
- Global players are expanding their regional presence, especially in APAC with strategic mergers and acquisitions (M&A). E.g. Tetra Tech's acquisition of Coffey and Aurecon's merger with AUP.
Drivers and Constraints
- Modular design: Buyers in mature markets demand quicker and less expensive construction, which stresses the need for modular designs.
- Industry consolidation/M&A: The demand for intelligent design, and to solve complex construction, has resulted in the expansion of service portfolios by strategic M&As.
- Sustainable design: Sustainable design is in high demand in the market, currently, leading to the rise of niche segments, such as lighting and energy design, air conditioning and ventilation, and facilities management.
- Urbanization: With levels of urbanization to reach 50% in APAC and Africa, by 2020 and 2035, respectively, there will be increased consumption of products and services, encouraging various industries to develop their facilities and offices in these economies.
- Project Design Time: Increased design complexity and fast-paced projects lead to delays and cost escalations, thus encouraging the use of design tools and techniques.
- Surging Tech Adoption: The rising need for tech-based solutions in various electronic devices has triggered the usage of product engineering services. As such, an increasing number of customers demanding smart electronic devices, smart homes, and in-vehicle networking systems will push the demand for software product engineering services over the forecast period.
- Project funding: Investment in infrastructure projects remains slow, due to political deadlocks, biased politics, and corruption, thereby delaying the projects as a whole.
- Recruiting and retaining staff: Skilled workers have left the industry, due to the economic downturn, leading to a deficiency of skilled workers.
- Technology adoption: Poor adoption of BIM/VDC by suppliers and buyers has led to delays in advantageous time and cost estimation methods.
- Project execution: In the case of ED firm + GC, the GC may face difficulties in taking cost and time advantages in the construction phase.
The product engineering industry analysis shows that the KPIs are predictability of design, schedule variance, predictability of design cost, and committed costs.
The major technology-related engineering industry trends include 3D Laser Scanning, BIM 4D/5D, augmented reality (AR), reprographics, 3D printing, and construction robotics. Supplier availability and supplier market maturity are the key factors that influence decision-making.
In markets where the supplier maturity is high, a project owner can transfer the risk to the contractor, based on past experience and capabilities with confidence. With an increasing demand for integrated facilities management as well as all-in-one service providers, there are many mergers in this sector in mature markets. This is enabling one-stop-solution engineering services providers. The talent is also increasingly sourced from emerging economies due to the cost benefits.
COVID-19 Impact on Product Engineering Industry
The COVID-19 pandemic has wrecked several industries, including the software product engineering services market. As end-users have significantly reduced spending due to the adverse effects of the pandemic on their revenue pool, they will most probably expect product engineering services to help with decreased billing rates and extra support to keep innovating.
That said, with decreased global spending and losses across all sectors, small and medium businesses (SMB) are compelled to deliver their services at lesser costs. On the flip side, product engineering services companies have the opportunity to strategize and carry out cutting-edge product solutions with their customers.
Several businesses still hold the potential to fulfill business requirements with their better productivity levels at cost-efficient terms. A majority of product engineering service providers have adapted the COVID-19 situation by allowing work-from-home (WFH) arrangements for most of their workforce.
In addition, several product engineering services are being outsourced, from engineering analysis and 3D drafting services to product design and testing. This is playing a huge role in control engineering, design automation, manufacturing engineering, and plant design engineering amidst the COVID-19 crisis.
Key Innovations And Market Trends
The constant innovation and refinement of the engineering services market are mostly the implementation of Artificial Intelligence and technology solutions to different aspects of the industry. The trending technology implementations are 3D laser scanning, BIM4D/SD, and cloud sharing. The newer innovations are:
- Drones or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)
- Autonomous Robots
- Robot brick layers
- Self-healing concrete
- Thermochromic roofs
- Aerogel insulation
Why You Should Buy This Report
- This engineering services report gives an overview of the global engineering services market and the engineering services market trends.
- It also details the engineering services market size and the historical growth of the market with reasons for significant milestones. The report gives a projected growth forecast supported by the reasons for this anticipated growth trajectory.
- The report does a detailed analysis of the engineering services market to give the regional market outlook and drivers and constraints for the South America, LATAM, Europe, and China markets. The market dynamics vary from region to region. This section gives detailed figures about the market size, market maturity, unique features, import and export countries as well as the forecast for each region.
- Porter’s five forces analysis of emerging and developed markets.
- Procurement is a very important part of any market. The report details all the relevant facts and figures to support procurement decisions. From pricing models to KPIs this report has valuable data.
- The engineering services market is dependent and linked to many other industries. The mining services, hard services, air conditioning and ventilation services, and integrated facilities management verticals and their impact on the engineering services market are described.
- Supplier profile and SWOT analysis of major players in the global and regional engineering services market such as Fluor Corporation, Hatch Group, Bechtel Corporation, etc. Unique aspects of each player's business model are highlighted for better understanding.
- Innovations or market trends that have the potential to change the engineering services market significantly are also detailed in the report.
- The report does an engineering industry analysis that gives insight on how to market engineering services, top engineering industry trends, best procurement practices, KPIs, end-use industry outlook, etc.
- The report also gives a snapshot summary of the entire engineering services market highlighting salient points such as market size, high maturity markets, low maturity markets, trends, strategies, KPIs, source countries, prising and trending technology.