AI-powered self-service platform for all your sourcing decision needs across 1,600+ categories llike Onions.
Market Data, Sourcing & Supplier Intelligence, and Price & Cost Benchmarking.
Indian Government has built up a record reserve of 250,000 tons of onionsJuly 26, 2022
Become a Beroe LiVE.Ai™ Subscriber to receive proactive alerts on Onions
Onions Market Monitoring Dashboard
Understand the correlation between costs, margins, and prices impacting your category on a real time basis on Beroe LiVE.Ai™
Onions Industry Benchmarks
The average annual savings achieved in Onions category is 4.00%
The industry average payment terms in Onions category for the current quarter is 90.0 days
Compare your category performance against peers and industry benchmarks across 20+ parameters on Beroe LiVE.Ai™
Category Strategy and Flexibility
Price per Unit Competitiveness
Minimum Order Quality
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
Abi, the AI-powered digital assistant brings together data, insights, and intelligence for faster answers to sourcing questions
Find the right-fit onions supplier for your specific business needs and filter by location, industry, category, revenue, certifications, and more on Beroe LiVE.Ai™.
Onions Market Intelligence
global market outlook
- The global capacity of API Povidone is around 100,00 MT in 2022. The global demand is around 500,00 MT for both industrial grade and pharma grade povidone.
- The API Povidone market is expected to grow the CAGR of ~4% till 2024
- The major supply market is Europe with a market share of 38%, followed by North America with a market share of 34%.
- BASF and Ashland are two major suppliers and together the two suppliers accounts for market share around 60%
- In China the supply market is fragmented with multiple players exporting bulk quantities. However, most of them manufacture industrial-grade povidone
Use the Onions market, supplier and price information for category strategy creation and Quaterly Business Reviews (QRBs)
Onions market frequently asked questions
The global onion supply rose by 97 million metric tons (MMT) during 2019-2020, at a 2.1% increase. In addition, the global onion prices dropped by 20-30% within the same time frame.
The global onion market is highly competitive, containing several established and small-scale players having a solid presence in the market.
Raw material access is a significant barrier to the new entrants in the global onion market. Moreover, they are grappling with the high upfront costs of manufacturing units with significant production capacities. Furthermore, fluctuating margins due to increased reliance on weather conditions and no supply assurance are creating hesitancy among the new entrants to enter the competitive marketplace.
No, processed vegetables do not face any threat of substitutes in the global onion market.
As per the onion industry report, leading producers choose September-December as the ideal time to grow and cultivate onions.
Established food chains, which have inked long-term agreements, have higher negotiation power compared to purchasers of processed vegetables, who hold a moderate bargaining power.
Onions market report transcript
Onions Global Market Outlook:
- Global Production: 97 MMT Supply Growth (2020 vs. 2019): 2.1 percent rise
- Price Projection (2020 vs. 2019): -20 to -30 percent decline
- Key Buying Months in Top Producing Regions: September–December
Porter's Analysis on Onions
- Large vegetable processors engage in contract farming and ensure steady supply
- Premiums/discounts are set based on the yield rates
- Farmers have an upper hand in negotiations with smaller processors
- These small processors are prone to higher price fluctuation risk
Barriers to New Entrants
- High initial capital investment for processing facilities with large production capacities
- Access to raw materials is a major challenge
- Fluctuating margins, due to dependency on weather conditions and no supply guarantee
- Higher cost of raw materials compared to competing larger companies
Intensity of Rivalry
- High competition prevails among few established players in developed markets
- Presence of large number of small-scale players in developing countries dilutes the intensity of rivalry
- Cost of production largely depends on raw material prices and large processors minimize price fluctuation through contract farming
Threat of Substitutes
- Processed vegetables do not face any threat from substitutes
- Buyers of processed vegetables hold a moderate negotiation power
- Large food chains, who engage in long-term contracts, hold a higher bargaining power
- Other buyers, such as infant food, juice, and purees, engage in contract processing of vegetables