Office Supplies Category Intelligence
After reading this report, the reader will be able to:
- Gain a holistic understanding of the market
- Identify new opportunities across geographies and product segments
- Understand the broader shift underway in the industry and prepare
- Understand the challenges in the industry
- Access industry data that helps in the strategic decision-making
- Validate own understanding of the market
- Know about the companies holding the largest market share in the US
- Know the Office Supplies' Market Trend, Analysis & Forecast
Market Size North America
Market Size Europe
Market Size Asia Pacific
Market Size Middle East - Asia
Global Office Supplies Market Overview
The global office supplies market is estimated to grow to $247 billion by 2020. Items in the office supplies' market include paper-based products, storage and equipment, and writing and marketing instruments. The report covers a detailed analysis of the office supplies market. It also covers non-core office supplies such as kitchen supplies, cleaning supplies, office furniture, workwear safety, computer consumables/accessories, etc.
- Category intelligence says that demand for the industry’s core products such as pens, paper and toners will continue to reduce as we further transform to a digitized environment.
- Adoption of e-auctions and ERP integration is expected to increase which might affect the small retailers with less technological capabilities
- The global office solutions market can be divided into Recurring Spend products which are ordered on a regular basis (predominantly core office supplies and some non-core office supplies) such pens, paper files and folders, clips, staplers and markers and Non-recurring Spend Products (Products that are ordered once and used for a long time span like Breakroom supplies, janitorial supplies, Office machines, Computers, Computer consumables, Office furniture, Projectors, etc.
- The major cost components of global office supplies are raw materials, wages, profit margins, rent and utilities.
Office Supplies Market Size and Global Outlook
- The global office supplies market size was around $235 billion in the year 2017 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.4% by 2020.
- North America and Europe office supplies market size grew at a rate of 1-3% with a market size of $82 billion and $46.8 billion respectively in the year 2017.
- The supplier landscape is witnessing a drastic change, as the major players, Staples and Office Depot, are disinvesting in regions other than North America.
- The High Maturity Regions in the global office supplies market are countries like US, Western Europe, and Nordics (Germany, UK, France, Belgium, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Netherlands, Norway and Ireland)
- As the global office solutions suppliers are expanding their portfolio of services, buyers can consolidate their supplier base resulting in cost savings
- Office supply industry trends 2019 show that Low Maturity Regions like Major parts of Asia, Africa and South America, e.g., Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Egypt and Indonesia are dominated by local suppliers who also offer self-branded products. The global players have no presence in these regions.
Office Supplies Industry Trends
- IT integration and industrial automation have led to a growing demand for computer/printer supplies. The demand for the toner cartridges segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 9% through 2019.
- Suppliers in this industry have declining profit margins and are facing significant price competition. Digitization has led to closures of many retail stores of office supplies over the past 5 years. Price has become a key deciding factor, followed by geographic coverage and supply assurance.
- Eco-friendly products are an emerging area in developed countries, where most service providers are seeking to expand their product base.
- Global suppliers are enhancing their service capabilities through M&A to secure office supplies contracts from large buyers. Office Depot and Office Max merged in the year 2013 and became the second-largest player in the office supplies industry.
Office Supplies Industry - Global Market Maturity
- The office supplies market is highly fragmented, and the maturity level of the buyers and the suppliers is low outside Europe and North America.
- Buyers are looking to consolidate their supply base in APAC, Africa, and the Middle East, but are finding it difficult as the global office solutions suppliers still do not have a strong presence in these regions.
Office Supplies Industry - Key Global Suppliers
- Staples - Geographical presence in North America, Europe, Australia, China, India, New Zealand, Taiwan, and Singapore
- Office Depot - Geographical presence in North America, Europe, Some countries of APAC
- Lyreco - Geographical presence in North America, Europe, Some countries of APAC and LATAM
- Amazon - Amazon Retail, which can serve small and mid-sized offices, has a global presence. Amazon Business, which serves businesses, is present in UK, US, Germany, France, Japan, India, Italy and Spain
Why should you buy this report?
The report's scope includes the matured geographies of North Americas and Europe, and the growth markets of LATAM, APAC, and MEA. It provides a detailed study of each market and evaluates their growth potential. Porter's Five Forces Framework is used to analyze both developed regions like North America and Europe as well as emerging markets like LATAM (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina), Asia (India, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, South Korea, Australia, Vietnam, New Zealand), Middle East (Saudi Arabia, UAE) and Africa (South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria) .
The report analyzes the reasons for the declining profit margins of the suppliers, the resulting price competition they are facing and hence, the various strategies they are implementing to overcome these challenges. The reader will find detailed profiles of global suppliers like Amazon, Staples, Office Depot and Lyreco and their SWOT analysis in this report.
In order to analyze the competition in this market, the report provides cost structure analysis with detailed spend categorization and benchmarks that will assist in optimal decision-making. To understand the evolving nature of the market, the report reviews the engagement models at local and global level, and their pros and cons, e-commerce business models, pricing models (matrix pricing vs single discount) and impact of contract length. On the basis of the exhaustive review of the above parameters, the report provides a host of cost-saving strategies, negotiation levers and questions for optimal results.
Methodology for writing this Report
Beroe gathers intelligence through primary sources that include industry experts, researchers, and consultants, as well as current suppliers, producers and distributors. Secondary sources can include business journals, newsletters, magazines, market research data, company sources, and industry associations. Following data collation, analysis, and strategic review, the Final Research Report is published on Beroe LiVE.
Office Supplies Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Office Supplies covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Table of Contents
- Office Supplies Executive Summary
- Office Supplies Industry Outlook: 2016
- Supply Market Outlook
- Office Supplies Market Analysis
- Market Maturity
- Industry Trends Global Office Supplies Industry: Drivers and Constraints
- Regional Market Outlook
- Porter's Five Forces Analysis: Developed Markets
- Porter's Five Forces Analysis: Emerging Markets
- Office Supplies Supply Analysis
- Supply Market Outlook: Supply Trends and Insights
- Key Suppliers Key Regional Suppliers: Service Portfolio
- Key Global Supplier Profiles
- Supplier SWOT Analysis
- Office Supplies Cost and Pricing Analysis
- Cost Structure Analysis
- Cost Analysis and Expected Savings
- Cost Breakdown
- Cost Structure Analysis: Spend Benchmarks and Rebates
- Pricing Analysis: Price Forecast
- Office Supplies Procurement Best Practices
- Sourcing Models for Office Supplies
- Engagement Models: Comparative Analysis
- Engagement Models: Pros and Cons
- Contract Length
- Pricing Models: Comparative Analysis
- Cost - Saving Opportunities
- Negotiation Levers
- Specific KPIs and SLAs
Office Supplies Industry: Global Drivers and Constraints
Emphasis on self-branded products:
Large suppliers such as Staples and Office Depot bet on their self-branded products, as they have higher margins than other branded products. Staples, for instance, has generated 30 percent of its revenue in recent years from these types of products and significantly increased the number of similar products being launched. Source: Beroe Analysis
Era of Online Ordering:
Staples has already shifted its investments to its online portal to make online ordering easier and more convenient for its customers. Amazon Business and eBay have entered the office supplies market, as office supplies category fits into their existing sets of products.
Increasing Service Capabilities of Suppliers:
Suppliers in this industry are expanding their product portfolio by including non-core office supplies such as janitorial supplies, technical equipment, and break room supplies in their product list.
Increasing Number of Offices and Job Opportunities, Mainly in the Emerging Markets:
Focus on education, increasing literacy rates and increasing job opportunities, coupled with MNCs increasing their geographical capabilities across the globe, are the major drivers of the demand for office supplies products (e.g. the Digital India Campaign in India, and industrial development in LATAM, mainly in Mexico, Brazil, etc.).
Buyers prefer procurement through e-auctions, as they get clear visibility and can access supplier capabilities. Along with Global suppliers, even the local suppliers are focusing on participating in e-auctions as it gives them the scope to bid on and participate in huge tenders.
Global Suppliers in LATAM:
Currently, the supply market has local and regional players who dominate the market. The global suppliers have entered the LATAM market only recently. In 2015, Office Depot entered LATAM as Office Depot de Mexico, while Lyreco entered the Mexican market through a partnership with Principado. LATAM has witnessed the entrance of MNCs, the US-based firms in countries, such as Brazil, Colombia, and Mexico. The suppliers, in order to cater to the needs of the MNC's office supplies across the country, are looking for M&As. In 2015, Office Depot bought a 51 percent stake in Grupo Pisa, which is a local group of LATAM wholesale suppliers.
Suppliers are increasingly leveraging various online media formats, including mobile-based applications and social networking sites, to expand their digital presence. Officeworks invests a significant amount of resources in their social media engagements, with the objective of elevating everyday products into things that people like and share.
Raw materials are one of the major parts of the cost structure for office supplies. Therefore, any increase or decrease in the prices of raw materials will affect the cost of office supplies products. Major raw materials used in office supplies include:
Given the changing industry dynamics, the possibility of changes in supplier and changing paper prices, a contract length of three years in matured markets and a contract length of one to two years while engaging with the local suppliers in emerging markets is suggested. This, combined with structured continuous supplier management would ensure better results from the contact.