Nylon Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Nylon covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Industry Outlook & Drivers
Global Market Outlook on Nylon
- The global demand is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.4 percent through 2017–2022
Broad demand drive from the automotive industry and plastic product industry is expected to trigger the nylon market growth
Emerging economies, such as LATAM, India, and other Southeast Asian countries, are expected to drive the global nylon market
- Nylon procurement intelligence shows that the top global suppliers are BASF | Ascend | Libolon (Li Peng) | Li Heng Chemical| Invista.
- The nylon market price outlook (Q3 2019 vs. Q2 2019): North America:2 percent increase, Europe: 1 percent decrease, and Asia: 8 percent decrease.
- Major nylon market and share: North America: 17 percent, Europe: 23 percent, Asia: 57 percent, Others: 3 percent.
- The challenges/opportunities in the nylon industry: Light-weight application in vehicles, 3D printing, and bio-based nylons. PE, POM, etc., offer similar properties to the demand segments, posing as substitutes.
Demand Market Outlook
- The global nylon market is currently oversupplied .However, minimal expansions are in place to meet up with the increase in demand growth
Industry Best Practice
- Direct and consortium buying are the two relevant engagement models in the industry
- Direct buying is highly preferred, as consortium buying (group buying) is:
–Still in the beginning stages in the nylon resins industry
–Practiced more by metals and automobile industries
- Market Price Contract: The commodity is supplied at a market price or benchmark price
- Fixed Contract: The buyer can decide to have a fixed margin (the margin of supplier is fixed throughout the contract period) or fixed price (prices are locked for the contract period)
Nylon Price = Monthly Nylon Contract Prices + Fixed Component (Costs from Overhead, Freight, Conversion) + Premium
Nylon Price = Price of the Nylon Resin Quoted in the Index for the Particular Month (based on indices, such as CMAI/CDI/Platts/IHS/ICIS) + Additional Costs (based on volume, time, and clauses in purchase)
Nylon Price = Nylon Resin Index Price for the Particular Month + Conversion Cost (from utilities, labor, additives, specific grade) + Margins
Global Market Size: Nylon
The global nylon market is forecasted to reach $32 million at a CAGR of 5 percent for the forecasted period until 2022.Automobile, electronics, packaging, CPG industries, etc., are expected to drive the demand
- The nylon market is expected to portray a strong growth in the coming years, taking in support of higher raw material prices and healthier demand trends after witnessing lackluster market sentiments during 2015–2016
- Concerns of supply tightness had arisen, especially in Europe and Asia, in line with capacity rationalization in the upstream as well as ongoing environmental regulations in China
- Among the top regions, Asia with the largest capacity share of 57 percent and 5.3 MMT/year capacity is driving the nylon market
Global Capacity–Demand Analysis
- The overall nylon business sentiments improved strongly, as 2016 ended impacting price hikes, increase in consumption trend, and better purchasing momentum
- The strong demand drive from automotive and engineering plastics sectors, along with capacity constraint issues, the nylon rebounded from the bearish outlook it portrayed during 2015–2016
- The global nylon market is growing at a CAGR of 2.4 percent, with Asia being the top region for the demand growth
- In terms of two main grades in the industry (nylon 6 and nylon 6,6), capacity of nylon 6 is more and stands at ~7.2 MMT/year compared to nylon 6,6 at ~2.3 MMT/year in 2016
- Major demand driver for nylon 6,66 is from automotive and engineering plastics industry, while the textile industry lead the demand from nylon 6
- With the rebound in demand drive and buying activities, the operating rates have increased to levels between 76 percent and 80 percent
- With capacity rationalization being targeted to wage the supply–demand gap, fixed contract models could be engaged, so as to avoid risks involving external factors, like supply disruptions
The nylon 66 price trend shows that decline in feedstock benzene market and lackluster downstream demand supported a decline of 1.3 percent in North America. Despite increases in the feedstock benzene market, nylon market price portrayed a rollover during the month of August. Weaker buying momentum due to the recent US-China trade escalations, lower feedstock price sentiments are likely to support for nylon market price declines in the Asian market. The nylon 66 price trend in Asia: Lower feedstock prices from caprolactam and benzene, weakened demand sentiments as well as cautious buying activities due to the recent ongoing escalations supported for a decline in the Asian market.
Why You Should Buy This Report
This report provides information on the global nylon market, demand, trade dynamics, imports, exports. It gives the regional market analysis of North America, Europe, Asia and the Porter’s five force analysis of these regions.
It lists out the nylon industry drivers and constraints and the major innovations in the nylon market. The report breaks down the cost structure, does the pricing analysis and gives the nylon 66 price trend and nylon market price. It gives nylon procurement intelligence, details the supplier landscape and does a SWOT analysis of suppliers like DowDuPont, Lanxess, Libolon (Li Peng), etc.