Methanol Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Methanol covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Industry Outlook & Drivers
Global Market Outlook on Methanol
- An expansion in the methanol producing capacity in the US and the entry of Iranian methanol into the market would shift the trade flow
- This trend has increased the pressure on high-cost producers, who have started to rationalize
- Key regions driving growth: Global methanol demand, tracks GDP on an average ratio of 1.7 times
- China is likely to have the highest growth, driven by the increased demand from MTO developments
- The Middle East and the US are likely to witness capacity surge, with the Middle East strengthening its position as a major exporter
- The major methanol market and share: NA: 8 percent, Europe: 7 percent, Asia: 62 percent.
- PRICE OUTLOOK (Q3 2019 vs. Q2 2019) North America: 23 percent decrease
- Europe: 18 percent decrease, Asia: 16 percent decrease
- Key demand drivers of the global methanol market: MTO and Energy Markets: More than 7.5 percent CAGR.
- According to the methanol market outlook the opportunities include ME export profile is growing, which is an import opportunity for the European buyers. The US domestic supply surge is bringing down the import dependency.
- The top global suppliers in the methanol market: Methanex| Ar–Razi| MHTL| Zagros| Shenhua | Ningxia Coal.
Demand Market Outlook for Major Methanol Markets
- Methanol Demand market of methanol is dominated by China. Although it is the largest producer of methanol, close to 10 percent of its demand is met through imports
- Derivative capacity additions in China would spearhead the demand levels over the next three years [MTO (5.5 MMT/y), CTOs (4.2 MMT/y), MTGs (1.2 MMT/y)]
Industry Best Practices
In the Atlantic Basin arena, methanol price “premiums” existed over the last several years
Premiums are narrowing and China is becoming demand centric, while the mature markets requirements are fading away
Global Market Size: Methanol
- The global methanol market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 11.81 percent between 2016 and 2025. The methanol market is primarily driven by the following factors: Increasing demand for methanol in China from the olefins market (acceptance of the MTO technology), which is driven by increasing demand for petrochemicals in APAC
- In addition to this, need for alternatives to conventional transportation fuels and strong demand from conventional markets like adhesives, paints, and plastics
- The global methanol sector is now closely connected to the energy complex, through the emergence and growth of Methanol-to-Olefins (MTO) industry in China
- Methanol would compete with naphtha as a feedstock for ethylene and propylene production through MTO
- These products have high correlation to crude, thus making crude oil a proxy feedstock for methanol and hence Chinese market and crude oil are the major drivers of global methanol prices
Global Capacity–Demand Analysis
- Global methanol capacity and demand would be dominated by China
- Global market is well-balanced with global demand growing at a CAGR of 7 percent, until 2022
- Substantial capacity additions that are planned would suffice the growing demand, particularly from the Chinese market
Methanol Market Overview
Major methanol demand center is Asia (China), which accounts for ~74 percent, followed by Europe and North America.
MTO/MTP is the fastest growing derivative segment: It is likely to become the largest derivative of methanol in terms of value and volume by 2023
Cost breakup for methanol: Gross costs (Raw materials - Co Credits), net utilities, fixed costs, depreciation & other overheads
Fixed costs comprise of the following components: Plant overheads, operating charges, maintenance costs, supervision, and operation labor costs.
The methanol price forecast for the US for Q3 2019: Methanol prices are expected to witness an increasing trend during Nov–Dec.
Why You Should Buy This Report
- The report provides information about the global methanol market size, outlook, methanol demand and supply trends, trade dynamics, import and export dynamics, etc.
- It gives the regional methanol market outlook and Porter’s five force analysis of North America, China and Europe and lists out the industry drivers and constraints, important industry events, innovations etc.
- The report gives a breakdown of the cost structure and does a pricing analysis and methanol price forecast.
- It does a SWOT analysis of key players such as Methanex, Ar–Razi, Methanol (Holdings) Trinidad Ltd. (MHTL), etc.