Hops & Adjuncts
Hops are flavour compounds measured in alpha acid content and they are used to flavour beer. Adjuncts are food ingredients such as rice, wheat, cassava which are used to replace malt barley in certain countries for flavour or manage cost.
AI-powered self-service platform for all your sourcing decision needs across 1,600+ categories llike Hops & Adjuncts.
Market Data, Sourcing & Supplier Intelligence, and Price & Cost Benchmarking.
R&D to create Hops variety that thrives in MidwestSeptember 12, 2022
Yakima Valley harvest in full swingSeptember 08, 2022
Beer formulated from fully indoor grown hopsOctober 03, 2022
Become a Beroe LiVE.Ai™ Subscriber to receive proactive alerts on Hops & Adjuncts
Hops & Adjuncts Market Monitoring Dashboard
Understand the correlation between costs, margins, and prices impacting your category on a real time basis on Beroe LiVE.Ai™
Hops & Adjuncts Industry Benchmarks
The average annual savings achieved in Hops & Adjuncts category is 5.30%
The industry average payment terms in Hops & Adjuncts category for the current quarter is 75.6 days
Compare your category performance against peers and industry benchmarks across 20+ parameters on Beroe LiVE.Ai™
Category Strategy and Flexibility
Price per Unit Competitiveness
Minimum Order Quality
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
Abi, the AI-powered digital assistant brings together data, insights, and intelligence for faster answers to sourcing questions
Hops & Adjuncts Suppliers
Find the right-fit hops & adjuncts supplier for your specific business needs and filter by location, industry, category, revenue, certifications, and more on Beroe LiVE.Ai™.
Use the Hops & Adjuncts market, supplier and price information for category strategy creation and Quaterly Business Reviews (QRBs)
Hops & Adjuncts market frequently asked questions
According to Beroe's hops and adjuncts market report, the EU region has the highest production rate of hops and adjuncts accounting for about 48 percent of the total market production followed by America (43 percent), Asia (7 percent), and Australia/Oceania (2 percent).
The major exporting countries of hops and adjuncts are Germany, the US, Czech Republic, and Slovenia accounting for 47 percent, 19 percent, 8 percent, and 4 percent respectively.
From Beroe's analysis of hops and adjuncts market trends and developments, the production of hops varies across regions due to factors like differences in prevailing climatic conditions, demand changes, preference of a variety of hops, etc.
Barth Haas, Hopsteiner, Yakima Valley Hops, Water Town Hops, and Kalsec are some of the top names among the hop suppliers globally
The craft beer segment, accounting for approximately 1.2 percent of the global beer market volume, consumes almost ten times more aroma hops per bottle as brewing raw materials when compared to traditional volume beer manufacturing. Due to this emerging trend, aroma hops are more in demand than bitter hops across the U.S. and the EU.
Hops & Adjuncts market report transcript
Hops & Adjuncts Global Market Outlook
The global Hops market is expected to reach a value of at $231.9 million by the end of 2024, growing at a CAGR of 3.34 percent during 2020-2024
Global hops market driving factors are increasing demand for hops in medicinal drugs, cosmetic formulations and alcoholic beverages. Increasing demand for various flavors in beer such as pilsner or lager, the hops market is expected to increase significantly
The growth of hops varies across regions, due to difference in prevailing climatic conditions, change in demand, preference of variety of hops, etc.
- The regional production of different types of adjuncts varies with regions from local preference and cultivation, hence preference to the usage of adjuncts to countries can vary from one to another, with respect to their pricing and availability
Global Hops and Adjuncts Supply–Demand Analysis
- The hops cultivation area worldwide had risen by 7 percent compared to the previous year to 51,500 Ha, the volume harvested was only 87,400 MT. Y-o-Y decline in production volume of nearly 10 percent was mainly due to adverse weather conditions and a drought, with maximum temperature exceeding 30° C in Central Europe in July/August 2015.
- For the 2015 brewing year (crop year 2014), there was a deficit in the supply balance once again. As a result of continually rising demand on one hand and low production volume on the other hand, this deficit will be even greater in the 2016 brewing year
Hops and Adjuncts - Global Trade Dynamics
Germany and the US are the top importers and exporters, due to the demand of a variety of hops, which are cultivated by one and required by the opposite country. Both countries trade hops for this reason and are the top trading countries
Cost Structure Analysis - Hops
Hop orchards start yielding after 4–6 years. The first phase mainly has cost spend, focused on the facilitation of growing the crop, while the harvest and post harvest, which is considered the second phase, have processing costs, such as drying and pelleting, which occupies over 61 percent of the cost.
Craft Brewing Industry Growth and Challenges to Large Breweries
- Craft beer segment accounts for ~1.2 percent of the global beer market volume. However, it consumes almost 10 times more aroma hops per bottle compared to large (traditional) volume beer manufacturing
- This emerging trend has, in turn, led to a shift in the demand from bitter to aroma hops across the US and the EU
- As craft breweries mostly use an aroma variety of hops in beer formation, they require almost 10 times more hops in processing. This compels hop growers in the US to shift from bitter to aroma variety hops production to cater to the demand of the growing craft beer segment
- The global production ratio of aroma to bitter varieties is expected to be 52/48 in 2015 compared to a ratio of 47/53 in 2011. This will result in a supply deficit of the bitter varieties for the large brewery, and it will lead to a high price realization in the future, which will affect their cost. Furthermore, the excessive load for bitter hops will be partly shared by Germany, with an increase in acreage for bitter varieties
Key Price Drivers (2016)
- Depleting stocks
- High demand from the brewing industry
- Changing climatic conditions in the EU affecting the yield