Ethylene Glycol MEG Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Ethylene Glycol MEG covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Industry Outlook & Drivers
Global Market Outlook on Ethylene Glycol MEG
- Global demand is expected to grow at 3.9 percent CAGR through 2016–2022
- PET applications in packaging, polyester application in textiles, MEG applications as anti-freeze and coolant in automobiles are likely to remain the key growth drivers
- Capacity expansions in North America and the Middle East are expected to cater to the growing demand
- Asia and Europe would continue to be import dependent during the forecast period
- The ethylene glycol price 2019 outlook (Q3 2019 vs. Q2 2019): North America: 7 percent decrease, European Union:19 percent decrease, and Asia: 14 percent decrease.
- The major supply share of the ethylene glycols market: North America: 11 percent, European Union: 5 percent, Asia: 48 percent, and Others: 36 percent.
- The ethylene glycol suppliers’ power: North America: High, European Union: Medium, and Asia: Low.
- Buyer power: North America: Medium, European Union: Medium, and Asia: High.
- The challenges/opportunities: Opportunities: Low-cost feedstock, driving market expansions in North America and Asia and Challenges: Strict regulatory environment in Europe, oversupplied market in North America.
Demand Market Outlook
The global MEG market is likely to be well supplied post 2018, due to growing capacity expansions in North America and the Middle East.Packaging and textile segments would continue to drive the MEG market across all the three regions(North America,EU and Asia)
Global Market Size: MEG
- The global MEG market is forecast to grow at a CAGR of percent to reach $35.1 million by 2022
- Asia and Europe would continue to witness a supply deficit and depend on imports from North America and the Middle East during the forecast period
- Global capacity is estimated to be around 29.4 MMT/year and the demand is estimated to be around 30.05 MMT/year in 2016
- Capacity expansions in downstream PET markets in Asia, Eastern Europe, Middle East, and North America, post 2016, are expected to contribute to the growth in MEG demand
Global Capacity–Demand Analysis
- Global demand is expected to increase at a CAGR of 3.8 percent, in line with demand growth in Asia
- The Middle East would continue to be a major source of MEG and would contribute to a significant portion of the export market
- The global MEG market is observed to be slightly under supplied
- The scenario would improve with the growing expansions in North America and the Middle East
- Major exporters, North America and Middle East, are expected to add 2.85 and 2.1 MMT to their current capacity, respectively
- Asian coal-based MEG capacity expansions are expected to slowdown during the forecast period
- Global average operating rates are expected to remain in the range of 84–87 percent during the forecast period
- Global demand stood at 30.05 MMT as of 2016 and major consumers, like China and India, will continue to be the growth drivers in Asia
Ethylene oxide is the major cost component in the production of MEG, which will be anchored on ethylene and naphtha prices.
Ethylene glycol prices across regions will be centered by the difference between MEG prices and naphtha prices.
The ethylene glycol price 2019 for the US: Prices in August 2019 continued to witness a rollover on M-o-M basis, due to the long supply and the lower demand from the PET segment.
The ethylene glycol market price in September 2019 was expected to remain firm, witnessing slight upward variations of 0–2 percent, due to the improving demand from the antifreeze segment, coupled with the over supplied ethylene glycols market.
Why You Should Buy This Report
- The report gives the analysis of the global and regional ethylene glycol market price, cost structure breakdown, ethylene glycol price history and analysis, demand analysis, trade dynamics, import-export, etc.
- It lists out the major industry drivers and constraints and provides the Porter’s five force analysis for Europe, North America, and Asia regions.
- The report provides information about the ethylene glycol suppliers, capacity share, key profiles and SWOT analysis of major players like SINOPEC, SABIC, MEGlobal, etc.