Database Management System Overview
Database Management System (DBMS) refers to the product used for storage and organization of data, that typically has defined formats and structures. Database management system are categorized by their basic structures and, to some extent, by their use or deployment. Technologies of the DBMS market are Object-Relational Database Management System (ORDBMS), XML Database Management System (XDBMS), Relational Database Management System (RDBMS), Hadoop, and NoSQL.
Database Management System Global Industry Outlook
- The market size for DBMS was $39.6 billion in 2016, and it is expected to reach about $51.02 billion by 2018, with a CAGR of 13.4 percent
- Regions such as North America, Western Europe and parts of APAC such as Australia, China and India have high market maturity
- The key drivers for DBMS is growing data from ecommerce, social media and High –Tech industries
Global Database Management System Market Maturity
- North America is one of the major markets for DBMS, the maturity of service providers and adoption rate is high
- APAC and LATAM are emerging markets with a shift in focus on Cloud DBMS. The increase in Unstructured data from e-commerce, social media have given way to new types of database like NoSQL and In Memory database
Global Database Management System Industry Trends
- Increase in data is driving enterprises to upgrade their on premise DBMS solution to SaaS. The cost saving opportunities are high in SaaS-based solution
- Data from Ecommerce, Social media and CRM are resulting in unstructured data. The traditional relational DBMS are not capable of handling the unstructured data. Hence, the enterprise are opting new forms of database such has NoSQL, In memory database over traditional RDBMS, which have high capabilities in handling unstructured data
Global Database Management System Drivers and Constraints
Large repositories of corporate and external data, including unstructured information created by new applications such as medical, entertainment, energy and geophysical, social media and other web repositories are the primary contributors for increase in data.
According to industry estimates, the big data market is expected to grow from $25.97 billion in 2016 to $83.82 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 26.4 percent.
Emergence of novel formats of data:
Data from connected devices such as smart devices add to the demand of DBMS solutions that are equipped with innovative technologies to cater to diverse data.
Additionally, the ubiquitous use of social media and personal devices have also fortified the growth of business and social related data.
SaaS based DBMS:
SaaS solutions are gaining attraction among small and mid-size enterprises due to cost saving opportunities and quick return on investment.
The key benefit of SaaS based DBMS solution are software upgrades and infrastructure maintenance, which will be owned by the DBMS vendor.
Cost of Data Conversion:
Data conversion would be required during migration from a legacy to a new product.
Industry estimates show that data conversion cost is more than the cost of DBMS hardware and machine combined.
Data migration experts are required to convert data to new system.
Securing Private and Public Data:
Consumers need to trust that the data they provide to enterprises remain in a secure place, and organizations’ executives need to trust that the data they are receiving accurately represents what is going on across their enterprises.
Enterprise success is closely tied to data security, and the onus is on DBAs to ensure that this security is intact.
Sources: Techrepublic, InfoWorld, ZDnet