Beverage Cans Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Beverage Cans covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Industry Outlook & Drivers
Global Market Outlook on Beverage Cans
- Global beverage can market is expected to grow at 3-4 percent CAGR by 2021, to reach 405 billion units driven by the increasing consumption of CSD and beer in the developing markets like China, Middle East, India, etc.; the slow down in the consumption of CSD in the NA and EU would be compensated by the increased consumption in the emerging markets
- Specialty cans (slim) are expected to experience the highest growth of about 8-10 percent CAGR over the next five years owing to increasing penetration in energy drinks, premium water, juices, RTD beverages, etc.
- Asia, the key growth region of the beverage cans market (119 billion units, 30 percent) is expected grow at 5-6 percent CAGR, to 155 billion units in 2023.
- Globally, the supply base is consolidated with the top three suppliers holding about 60 percent of the beverage can market share.
- The emerging metal can markets are spread across Middle East, India, China, LATAM.
- The top global beverage cans suppliers as of 2018 are Ball Corporation 31%, Crown Holdings-18%, Ardagh Group-9%, Can-Pack-4%
- The cost breakup of the aluminum cans market include raw material cost 38-40%, conversion cost 35-40%, fixed & overhead cost 8-10%, printing cost 5-10%, and labor cost 1-2%.
Regional Demand Overview
The maturing consumption of beer and CSD in developed markets and increasing consumption in the emerging markets have led to the expansion of manufacturing facilities in countries such as Myanmar, Thailand, UAE, Cambodia, India, etc.
Metal Beverage Cans Market Size
- The global beverage can market was estimated to be ~398 billion units in 2018 and is expected to grow at the rate of ~3–4 percent CAGR (2018–2023), driven by demand in beer and CSD end-use segments, especially in the emerging regions
- Increased penetration of metal cans into new segments, such as RTD beverages, water, wines, etc., would contribute to incremental demand
- Demand for beverage cans would be driven by the increasing consumption in emerging markets of Asia and LATAM, which are expected to grow at a CAGR 4–5 percent and 3–4 percent, respectively, during 2018–2023 –The downstream demand would be driven by CSD (2–3 percent), beer (5–6 percent), and energy drinks (9–10 percent)
- NA has the largest market share of about 35 percent in the beverage cans market with a high per capita consumption of about 315 cans per year and 2–3 percent CAGR – Demand would be influenced by increased consumption in new end-use segments, such as RTD beverages, water, energy drinks, etc.
- Globally, more than 90 percent of the beverage cans are made out of aluminum and only 10 percent is made from steel, which would contribute to value growth in the beverage can market
Global Beverage Can Demand by Application
A decline is seen in the CSD segment, which has a CAGR of -1 to 0 percent in the developed regions of NA and EU, which would affect the beverage can demand. However, this slow down is balanced by the growth in consumption of new end-use segments such as RTD beverages, water, FAB's, etc
The North America aluminium cans market has a highly consolidated supply base with top three suppliers having more than 85 percent of the market. Beer is the largest end-use segment having a growth of 2-3 percent CAGR (2018-2023). The industry drivers and constraints for the beverage can market includes Downstream Demand: Changing lifestyles of the consumers and the increasing preference for on the go food and drinks could increase the demand for beverage cans. Product Substitution: Increased use of plastics for CSD and its penetration into beer packaging could deter the demand for metal cans.
There is an increasing demand for specialty cans in both emerging and developed markets Increasing awareness about the sustainability of metal cans and successful “Can Collection Programs” have led to an increase in the recycling rates of cans.
Why You Should Buy This Report
● Global and regional market overview, demand-supply analysis, Porter’s five force analysis and market trends in the aluminum cans industry.
● Innovations and key beverage cans suppliers in the regional and global market and does a SWOT analysis.
● Cost break-up and cost model for aluminum cans market.