Home / Insights / Contract Research Organizations (CROs) in Japan

insights-espresso-icon article

Contract Research Organizations (CROs) in Japan

Espresso-live Speakers
by Sapna Rani
29 June 2015

Japan has the world's second largest pharmaceuticals market. However due to regulatory barriers the conditions in Japan has been considered less ideal for investing in pharmaceutical R&D activities. This had slowed down Japanese clinical research market. However recent initiatives by government to improve drug lag has once again gained attraction from pharma companies who are now considering Japan as the next clinical trial destination. This article focuses on the CRO industry in Japan and their recent proceedings in Japan. Pharmaceutical Industry in Japan The health care system in Japan provides healthcare services, including screening examinations, prenatal care and infectious disease control, with the patient contributing for 30% of these costs while the government pays the remaining 70%. A universal health care insurance system exists for personal medical services and the services are provided through both the regional/national public hospitals and private hospitals/clinics. Japan's pharmaceutical market was approximately $73.8 B in 2014 and is expected to reach $80B in 2020. Government reforms like greater harmonization with EU and US regulatory regimes and R&D tax credits have helped foreign companies to expand in Japan. With the Japanese government incentivizing greater use of generic products with speculated generic penetration of 60% in 2017, up from 30% in 2014 foreign generic manufacturers are definitely going to leverage this opportunity.   Author: Sapna Rani

Linkedin Twitter Facebook
Leave a comment

Please enter a valid name

Post your comment

Please select captcha


Get more stories like this

Subscirbe for more news,updates and insights from Beroe

Get Ahead with AI-Enabled Market Insights Schedule a Demo Now

Schedule a Demo Now