mPEG Market Trends
Category Intelligence on mPEG covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Industry Outlook & Drivers
Global Market Outlook on mPEG
mPEG demand from the pharmaceutical industry in both developed and emerging markets is growing, due to its multi-functionality in drug formulations. For example, to enhance the solubility of APIs, for sustained release of drug, to prevent crosslinking in gelatin capsules at high temperature, etc.
- mPEG is available in average molecular weights ranging from 350 to 5,000
- Medical uses of mPEG include laxatives and protein medications. Chemical uses of MPEG include synthesis of biomolecules under biochemistry and biomembranes. It is also beneficial to create high osmotic pressures, which is unlikely to have any interactions with biological chemicals
- Pharma grade mPEG manufacturers need to control reactive components, such as peroxide, formaldehyde, and acetaldehyde content below 30 ppm, 1 ppm, and 5 ppm, respectively. This restricts the number of suppliers entering the pharma grade segment
Currently, suppliers are able to meet an increasing demand from pharmaceutical companies. Since, they are operating at 70–80 percent utilization rate, even in the near future, they will be able to meet the increasing demand.
- Suppliers are able to meet the demand of pharmaceutical companies
- There is enough capacity available with the suppliers of mPEG, as they are operating at an utilization range of 70–80 percent
- The turnaround time for shifting from one molecular weight mPEG to another is less than 24 hours. Hence, even if there is a sudden increase in demand, the suppliers will be able to increase the supply accordingly
- Manufacturing pharma grade mPEG needs expertise, which acts as a limitation in production of mPEG for pharmaceutical industry
- Demand is expected to increase in the near future. However, suppliers have enough spare capacity to meet the rising demand
- As more drugs enter the market, there will be increased reliance on suppliers for their manufacturing expertise and experience
- There is an increased demand for mPEG-based nanoparticles for cancer therapy. Example, Doxorubicin and Cisplatin with mPEG nanoparticles and Monoclonal antibodies with mPEG nanoparticles (CD44-PEG-PLGA), are showing increased stability, target specificity, and efficacy of the drug
End-use Analysis: mPEG
Ceramics and pharma industry are the major end-use segments driving the growth of mPEG market. In pharma segment, oncology, hepatitis, chronic kidney diseases, severe combined immunodeficiency disease, autoimmune disorders, and gastrointestinal disorders are the major therapeutic areas driving the growth.
- Oncology, hepatitis, chronic kidney diseases, severe combined immunodeficiency disease, autoimmune disorders, and gastrointestinal disorders are the prominent therapeutic areas where mPEGs are used
- mPEG is in high demand for cardiovascular disorders, endocrine disorders, metabolic disorders and neurological disorders, etc.