Refrigerated Trucking in Europe Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Refrigerated Trucking in Europe covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Industry Outlook & Drivers
Regional Market Outlook on Refrigerated Trucking
As the volume of goods transported by road is increasing y-o-y, the refrigerated freight market is also expected to grow eventually.
Transporting 75 percent of Europe's total freight, road is the predominant mode for freight transportation. The cold chain industry is cited to grow by 12 percent by 2019, as the demand for refrigerated transportation surges.
Strong economic environment and augmented global trade are predominantly driving the refrigerated trucking market in Europe
The refrigerated freight market share of Eastern European countries is expected to have a heathy growth in the upcoming years, as the manufacturers are expanding their presence to Eastern countries, due to low operating cost.
Refrigerated trucking industry is expected to reach a market value of EUR 55 Billion. Western Europe holds the major refrigerated trucking market share of 70 percent; and Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Belgium are the major contributors.
Road Freight Price Index - Europe
- Fuel is the major component influencing the freight rate, with positive correlation between diesel price and road freight index
- As countries like France and Germany increased minimum labor wage, the price is expected to increase further
Refrigerated Trucking Cost Structure in Europe
Fuel surcharge can be negotiated with index-based pricing on long-term contracts, and regular review of prices can be done to control road freight cost in Europe.
Fuel and driver wages contribute to more than 50 percent of the freight cost. It is expected driver wages will upsurge in the coming years and might become a major cost component than Fuel.
Fuel Surcharge Mechanism
Type of Surcharge Fee Model in the Europe
Fuel surcharge mechanism based on miles would be more profitable and cost effective if the shipper has more of short hauls.
Index/Invoice Based Fuel Surcharge
- In this method, a fixed percentage of fuel surcharge is added to the total transportation cost based on the range in which the EU diesel fuel price falls
- The fuel surcharge increases or decreases in denominations, whenever fuel price moves up or down by benchmarking prices
- The diesel reference price is the average of the weekly prices of July 2018 as published by the European Energy Commission
Fuel Surcharge Based on Mileage
- For calculating fuel surcharge, the diesel reference price is the average of the weekly prices of July 2018 as published by the European Energy Commission
- In this mechanism, calculating the exact average miles per Kilometre is the challenging factor for the shipper, which if calculated precisely can provide them a competitive advantage
Refrigerated Transportation Trends - Europe
- The clients are now moving toward complete delivery solutions, which includes transportation, storage, warehousing, and distribution
- The companies are now preferring cold chain third-party logistics (3PL) providers for their transportation and distribution processes
- There is an acute shortage of drivers in the European trucking industry, including the reefer trucking sector
- The extent of driver shortage is estimated to be 400,000 truck drivers in the coming years and the migrant population would form major chunk of the drivers in the future
- The shippers are tapping vendors with lower carbon footprints
- Refrigerated transport providers increasingly are choosing electric and other vehicles that run on renewable energy sources
- The industry is moving toward the integration of GPS tracking to ensure that trucks operate on the designated route
- The head office would receive an alert in case of route deviation, unauthorized stop or if the door is opened at unauthorized location
- The companies are making significant investments in IT infrastructure and sensors that provide minute-by-minute temperature report while the truck is on the road
- Other technologies employed in the logistics industry include spiral compressors to increase the efficiency of the refrigerant
- The EU mandates the driving hours for truck drivers according to which daily driving time shall not exceed 9 hours
- The minimum wage law prevalent in Germany, France, and Austria stipulates minimum wage to be paid for the drivers when the truck is travelling through these countries