Global Market Outlook on Prebiotics
The global prebiotics market is forecasted to witness a CAGR of about 11 percent between 2017 and 2022 to reach nearly $6 billion. Application of prebiotics in the infant nutrition sector is anticipated to witness the fastest growth, driven by increasing consumer awareness.
The growth in the two leading markets, the US and Europe, is anticipated to be relatively slower, owing to the market moving towards maturity. The largest number of prebiotic product patents from these two markets support the indication of maturity. In Asia, Japan and China are the leading prebiotic product manufacturers.
- The chief growth catalyst for this market is the increasing health awareness among the growing population and various uses of prebiotics in sensory aspect of food
- The current ban by the EU and FDA against use of antibiotic growth promoters (AGP’s) in feed and food ingredient is also another major factor driving growth in prebiotic demand
- Europe remains the leading consumer of prebiotics, in terms of volume, accounting for nearly 50 percent of the market. APAC is forecasted to witness the quickest growth in the next few years
Growing popularity of gut health awareness and prebiotic natural occurrence (GOS) in mother’s milk are key factors driving production. Prebiotics application in infant food is anticipated to witness the fastest growth, and infant food accounts for close to 24 percent of the demand share. Europe is expected to remain the leading consuming market of prebiotics. The current ban by the EU and FDA against use of antibiotic growth promoters (AGP’s) in feed and food ingredient is a major factor driving growth in prebiotic demand.
Chief Challenge for Prebiotics and the Infant Nutrition
Indisputable benefits of mother’s milk and promotion of natural feeding:
The strong advocacy in favor of natural feeding is driving the infant food manufacturers to design products with closest association with the concept, in order to resonate better with mothers and increase market sustenance.
Prebiotics in Infant Nutrition – Market Overview
- The global prebiotics market is forecasted to witness a CAGR of about 11 percent between 2017 and 2022 to reach nearly $6 billion
- The market for HMO can be expected to be the chief competing sector for the current prebiotics GOS and FOS markets in infant nutrition. However, high production costs and technical complexity are major barriers for the HMO market, which is currently being leveraged by the relatively lesser expensive GOS and FOS prebiotics sector
- Expanding prebiotic applications in the food & beverage and preventive healthcare sectors are expected to be strong contenders of demand share for infant nutrition