Glass Containers Market Overview
The global market for glass container is expected to reach 65.4 MMT by 2022 while growing at a continuous CAGR of 3-4 percent. The demand will be driven by an increasing consumption of alcoholic beverages in developing markets such as India and China. Globally, the market for glass containers is estimated to be operating at 60-70 percent of its installed capacity. This could lead to slow demand from alcoholic beverages, with a growth of 1-2 percent in the West.
Alcoholic beverages, which hold over 70 percent of the market share in the end-user segment, will continue to dominate the glass bottle market for the next decade. This is due to the increasing consumption of beer and wine in the APAC. The APAC region is a key driver in the glass container market with a 35 percent market share. Maturing consumption of alcoholic beverages in the West might drive the buyers to expand to developing markets, like India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Mexico, etc. Emerging markets have high growth potential, driven by increasing consumption and trade attractiveness of the glass packaging market.
Glass Containers - Global Market Analysis
- The global glass container market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3–4 percent during 2017–20 and reach 67 MMT by 2023, driven by increasing consumption of alcoholic beverages in the developing markets, like India and China
- Pharmaceutical segment is expected to witness the fastest CAGR of 5–6 percent from 2016 to 2022 across end-use segments, driven by increasing consumption of OTC drugs globally
- The global glass containers market expects a value growth of 5 -6 percent (CAGR) from 2017–2022, to reach around $71 billion by 2022. Growth will be primarily driven by the increase in consumption of alcoholic beverages in the emerging markets, like India and China, where beer consumption growth is estimated to grow around 13–14 percent and 7–8 percent (CAGR) respectively
- Global supply base of container glass is fragmented, as the top five players, including Owens-Illinois, Ardagh, Verallia, Anadolu Cam, etc, have a combined market share of around 35 percent. However, North American and the EU markets are fairly consolidated with over 50–60 percent of the market share held by the top 2 or 3 players
- Light weighting, sustainability, and premiumization will be key market trends for glass bottles. However, factors like material substitution, breakage and slowing consumption of alcoholic beverages in the EU (CAGR ~1 percent) and the US (CAGR 2–2.5 percent) might hinder the growth prospects of glass containers in the long term
- Globally, the container glass market is estimated to be operating at 60–70 percent of its installed capacity, owing to overcapacity in the market, coupled with slow demand for alcoholic beverages, growing at 1–2 percent in the West
- Suppliers in the West are primarily investing to upgrade plant equipment, in order to achieve higher energy saving and reduce carbon emissions. Emerging markets will experience increasing investments in new furnace installation and refurbishment over the next 3–5 years
- Beverages form over 70 percent of the container glass market size globally, with beer being the largest end-use segment.
- The global supply base of container glass is fragmented. However, the North America glass packaging market is fairly consolidated with over 50–60 percent of the market share held by the top two or three players.
- The European supply base is consolidated with global players having over 50 percent of Europe glass packaging market share.
- The cost drivers for the glass packaging market include labor, energy and raw material costs.
- The India glass packaging market holds around 6 percent of the overall exports share. The exports are expected to increase over the next five years, owing to increasing exports to other Southeast Asian countries
- Globally, the pharmaceutical glass packaging market is expected to register strong growth rate across all the end-use segment, with an estimated ~7 percent CAGR from 2018 to 2023, owing to emerging branded generics market in developing region.
Why should you buy this Report
- The report gives details on the global and regional market outlook, drivers and constraints and trade dynamics in emerging and developed markets.
- It describes innovations in the container glass market such as the single-serve wine bottles from the Ardagh group and the bottle with sugar control design by Kolibri & Beatson Clark.
- The report also provides a regional market outlook in areas such as North America, Europe, APAC, and LATAM, followed by an overview of global imports and exports.
Methodology for writing this Report
Beroe gathers intelligence through primary sources that include industry experts, researchers, and consultants, as well as current suppliers, producers and distributors. Secondary sources can include business journals, newsletters, magazines, market research data, company sources, and industry associations. Following data collation, analysis, and strategic review, the Final Research Report is published on Beroe LiVE.
Glass Containers Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Glass Containers covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice