Global Market Outlook
The global silica fume market is expected to grow at a rate of 3.5–4.5 percent during 2018–2022. Demand from end-use applications, especially construction, marine, oil and gas industries, are anticipated to increase in the near future.Approximately 15–20 percent of the silica fume market growth is expected to come from North American region.
- Approximately 45–50 percent of the silica fume market growth is expected to come from the APAC region. The increased usage of silica fume by the construction industry is expected to drive the growth of the silica fume market. The construction industry is expected to grow at faster rate, due to rising investments in high quality infrastructure and increasing residential/commercial projects.
Global Silica Fumes Market: End-use Split
- Construction, marine, oil and gas industries are the three major end-use applications where silica fume is used predominantly.
- Of the three major applications, construction segment held the largest market share in 2017, accounting for nearly 35–40 percent share.
- The use of silica fumes in concrete is one of the key emerging trends driving the global silica fume market. Silica fumes delivers attractive benefits while maintaining the concrete’s durability and mechanical characteristics.
- Marine applications use silica fumes in their concrete to resist the aggressive salt environment.
Oil and Gas (10-15%)
- Oil well grouting is another application where silica fume is used extensively. In both primary oil well grouting, when the grouting is used as a hydraulic seal in the well bore and secondary grouting, such as leak repairs, sealing splits, and closing depleted zones. Silica fume’s ability to decrease the permeability of the grout, slows or stops gas leakage from the well.
Others (Fertilizers, Rubber) (10-20%)
- Fertilizers use silica fumes, along with the weed, wherein, it helps in the pelletizing process.
- Rubber industries consumes silica fume, as silica fume improves the tensile strength and elongation of the rubber products.
Silica Fumes: Drivers and Constraints
- The US and Canada are estimated to have produced a total of 466,000 MT of silicon metal in 2017. Owing to increasing demand for silicon metal, plants in the domestic market are expected to increase its capacity.
- Increasing production of silicon metal is expected to increase the supply of silica fumes in the near future.
- Rising demand from the end-use industries is expected to aid the expansion of silica fume market, globally.
- Increasing demand for ferrosilicon from the steel mills is expected to boost the prices, thereby increasing the production costs for silica fumes.
- The supply in China is expected to become tighter, due to strict environmental norms dictated by the Chinese government and closure of all small factories.