The top five producers of Malic Acid alone accounts for about 63% of the global market share. APAC alone accounts for about 50% of the capacity share, accounting for about 85,000 MT of Malic Acid.
AI-powered self-service platform for all your sourcing decision needs across 1,600+ categories llike Malic Acid.
Market Data, Sourcing & Supplier Intelligence, and Price & Cost Benchmarking.
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
Abi, the AI-powered digital assistant brings together data, insights, and intelligence for faster answers to sourcing questions
Malic Acid Suppliers
Find the right-fit malic acid supplier for your specific business needs and filter by location, industry, category, revenue, certifications, and more on Beroe LiVE.Ai™.
Use the Malic Acid market, supplier and price information for category strategy creation and Quaterly Business Reviews (QRBs)
Malic Acid market report transcript
Global Market Outlook on Malic Acid
Malic acid suppliers mostly prefer N-butane process over benzene process, as the n-butane process is cost effective. Feedstock supply availability is good with respect to both benzene and n-butane for the production of maleic anhydride.
- D-Malic acid and l-Malic acid are most commonly used in food additives, functional foods. It also finds its application and is widely used in cosmetics, medical and healthcare products. It can be used in high temperature, high pressure and water vapor effect with the presence of fumaric acid or malic acid under various catalyst
- Whereas, DL-Malic acid is mostly used in food and beverage applications, especially as food additive, preservative, sour agent and PH regulator as malic acid is 20 percent higher acidic as compared to citric acid. DL malic acid is also preferred in cosmetics, pharmaceutical, metal cleaning and textile finishing but finds wide applications in food industry owing to its compatibility with all types of flavors
Malic Acid Market Dynamics
Malic acid market is currently oversupplied with the market already having enough capacity to cater to the global demand until 2021. Currently, suppliers are operating at 50-60 percent which is more than sufficient to meet the demand from its downstream industries.
Food and beverage Industry to drive the demand:
- Beverage, food and confectionaries are the predominant consumers of malic acid, with these industries together accounting for about 85 percent of the overall consumption of malic acid
- Malic acid is used in both carbonated and non-carbonated beverages as it enhances the flavors and reduces less flavor to be used. Demand from beverage industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.5 percent Y-o-Y until 2021 and continue to be the major consumer of malic acid
Sufficient Capacity till 2021:
- The current installed capacity will be enough to meet the global demand until 2021. The average operating rate of the suppliers is anticipated to be around 50-60 percent, which is more sufficient to meet the demand levels. More capacities are likely to be added in North America and SE Asia by 2019/2020
Increasing Demand from Personal, Pharmaceutical and Oral Care Application:
- Increasing demand for malic acid from cosmetic applications and oral care products such as toothpaste and mouth wash is expected to increase the consumption levels, as these segments are expected to grow at a CAGR of around 5 percent Y-o-Y until 2021
- Malic acid is used as a cleansing agent on tooth before filling cavity. Malic acid is also used in mouth wash and cough syrup and institutional applications, which is driving the demand of malic acid
Malic Acid Demand by Downstream Industries
- The beverage industry is the predominant consumer of malic acid, which is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 4.5 percent Y-o-Y until 2021. Malic acid is widely used in:
Carbonated – for better enhancement of flavors
Non-Carbonated – preferred acidulant to enhance fruit flavors
Low Calorie – Malic Acid's sourness helps to provide a balanced taste
Acidified Dairy Products – whey-based beverages acidified with Malic Acid enhances fruit flavors and less whey-flavor
Powdered Mixes – Preferred due to rapid dissolution rate and flavor enhancement
Food & Confectionaries:
- The current installed capacity will be enough to meet the global demand till 2021. The average operating rate of the suppliers is anticipated to be around 50-60 percent, which is more sufficient to meet the demand levels. More capacities are likely to be added in North America and SE Asia by 2019/2020
Personal Care and Pharmaceuticals:
- Increasing demand for Malic Acid from cosmetic applications and oral care products such as toothpaste and mouth wash is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5% Y-o-Y till 2021 and drive the demand of Malic Acid
- Demand for Malic Acid from pharmaceutical industry is also witnessing a significant growth rate of around 4% Y-o-Y owing to its applications in throat lozenges and cough syrups