Global Market Outlook on Optical Brighteners
The global brighteners market is projected to reach $2 billion by 2022. The brighteners market has been plagued by feedstock supply issues and higher prices during 2017-18.
Stilbene based brighteners are expected to retain their dominance for use in detergents and other downstream applications as it is the most common type of optical brightener
Global Brighteners Market Value
- The global brighteners market is projected to grow at a moderate CAGR of 3.5-4 percent (slightly lesser than revenue CAGR) in terms of volumes.
- Owing to environmental regulations in China, the feedstock for CBS-X, BCMB is in short supply for the past two years. This has subsequently impacted the supply and price trend of CBS-X brighteners
Brighteners - Growth Drivers and Constraints
Dwindling paper demand is expected to increase the demand of OBAs from the other two downstream industries – detergents and textiles.
Asia Pacific region with high growth rates in the major downstream applications is expected to be the key driver while the potential environmental toxicity and hazardous nature of OBAs could act as a major hindrance for market growth.
- Regional driver – Asia Pacific is expected to be the major region driving the growth of the OBA market
- Asia Pacific is expected to record high growth rates across all the major downstream applications like paper, textiles, detergents and cosmetics
- Textiles - Growth of textile machinery industry in countries like China, India, Italy, Taiwan, Turkey and Mexico is leading to the development of new materials and fabrics which will trigger the growth of the OBA market
- Cosmetics – The beauty and cosmetics industry is booming globally with Asia expected to record the highest CAGR of 6-8%. Asian women use more cosmetic products as well and constantly look for a blemish free, flawless complexion which could act as a major growth driver for OBAs
- Declining paper demand - The rise in digitization which has led to the increased use of smartphones, tablets, laptops has led to dwindling paper demand, especially in the developed regions
- There is demand for paper in the developing regions; however this is also slowly expected to fade owing to the ‘Paperless economy’ approach adopted by several countries like India
- Environmental Toxicity - They are monitored by the EPA when they are used by the cleaning industry as they are not readily bio-degradable and have the bio accumulation tendency
- They are known to be potentially toxic to humans and may cause developmental and reproductive effects. However, despite test results have been inconclusive, consumers might opt for more eco-friendly options
Brighteners – Demand by Downstream Applications
Due to the specific CBS-X grade used in detergents, there is no major parallel downstream industry threat from the other two key downstream applications – paper and textiles.
The dwindling paper demand in developed regions due to increased digitization is expected to lead to increase in demand share of Textiles and Detergents and one of the them is expected to replace Paper as the major downstream industry by 2025.
- Paper – Used in both coated and uncoated paper. Increasing demand in developing regions, particularly India, for uncoated fine paper grades containing high-yield pulp
- Textiles – Gradual rise in the demand share for textiles due to the flourishing growth in developing regions. The Indian Ministry of Textiles is expecting strong growth rates of 8-10 percent up to 2021
- Detergents & Soaps – Used as whitening agents in both solid and liquid laundry detergents instead of bluing agents. Demand share expected to increase due to declining paper demand
- Cosmetics – Use of OBA in cosmetics is also expected to witness moderate to high growth rates due to increasing demand for color-correcting or brightening additives in cosmetic formulations
- Hair Care – Increasing use in shampoos and conditioners for washing and conditioning grey or blonde hair
- The brightener increases the luminance and sparkle of the hair and is also used to correct dull, yellowish discoloration without darkening the hair.
- Skin care – Used in advanced face and eye powders to brighten shadowed or dark areas of the skin such as dark circles
- Others – Used in lacquers, pigmented lacquers and ultraviolet tracers