AI-powered self-service platform for all your sourcing decision needs across 1,600+ categories llike HDPE Containers.
Market Data, Sourcing & Supplier Intelligence, and Price & Cost Benchmarking.
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
The World’s first Digital Market Analyst
Abi, the AI-powered digital assistant brings together data, insights, and intelligence for faster answers to sourcing questions
HDPE Containers Suppliers
Find the right-fit hdpe containers supplier for your specific business needs and filter by location, industry, category, revenue, certifications, and more on Beroe LiVE.Ai™.
Use the HDPE Containers market, supplier and price information for category strategy creation and Quaterly Business Reviews (QRBs)
HDPE Containers market report transcript
Global Market Outlook on HDPE Containers
- The global HDPE bottles market was valued around 9.4 MMT in 2016 by volume and is expected to reach 11.4 MMT by 2021, majorly driven by the increasing consumption in end-use industries, like pharmaceutical, chemicals, etc.
- APAC is leading the consumption with over 30% market share and also expects the fastest growth rate of around CAGR 7–8% from 2016 to 2021. Increasing manufacturing activities in chemical industries in China and India are fostering the growth of HDPE containers
- Globally, PET bottles have the largest market share in volume, i.e., 60%, followed by HDPE containers with 30% market share. However, PET bottles are not preferred in pharmaceutical and chemical industries, due to low chemical inertness, leakage, and particle migration risks involved
- HDPE drums market was valued at around USD 1.6 billion in 2016, which constitutes to 18% of the global drums market and is experiencing a strong growth, owing to its cost and logistic advantages over its steel counterpart. However, steel drums will continue to dominate the market
NA Market Outlook of HDPE Bottles
- The North American HDPE bottle market is expected to witness a growth of around 2.5–3% CAGR. The pharma and personal care segments are the major contributor of HDPE in North America, which are growing at 5% and 1% CAGR, respectively
- Majority of the end-use segments in blow molded plastics are experiencing slow growth of around 2% CAGR in North America. This trend is likely to continue, especially with the growing trend of flexible pouches substituting bottles in the personal and homecare segments
- The suppliers in the US are likely to innovate on new energy-efficient blow molding technologies, and also focus on developing more bio-based and bio-degradable resins, such as Braskem's sugarcane-based HDPE resin
Key Trends in HDPE Bottles
Greener packaging is gaining more preference, owing to increased environmental awareness.
- The use of bio-based resins in HDPE bottles, like I'm green from Braskem, is a major trend, predominantly in developed regions, driven by increasing consumer preference for sustainable packaging
- However, HDPE bottles have lower recycling rate of around 35% and makes it difficult in achieving the sustainable packaging goals
High impact strength, UV protection, and multi-layered containers are the key driving factors for the growth of HDPE containers.
- High impact strength, better chemical resistance, UV protection, tensile strength are the key product features drive the preference of HDPE bottles and containers in the pharmaceutical and chemical industry
- Products developed with additional functionality features, like bottles with advanced dispensing systems, are gaining consumer preference in the pharmaceutical segment
Supply Base Trend
There are multiple domestic and global players manufacturing HDPE bottles and containers. However, there are very limited number of suppliers, who can cater both chemical and pharmaceutical segments.
- The supply base of HDPE bottles is highly fragmented with the presence of both domestic and global players
- Majority of the HDPE bottle manufacturer also cater canisters. However, suppliers with capability to cater bulk containers along with bottles are very limited
Porter's Five Forces Analysis – Developing Regions
- The consolidated supply base of HDPE resin gives high supplier power
- However, the base resin price is regulated by the market, balances out the power
Barriers to New Entrants
- Existing high competition among small and medium-scale suppliers may deter new comers entry
- Small and medium-scale players may not be able to cater bottles with advanced technologies, like high barrier properties, which allows large players to remain dominant
Intensity of Rivalry
- The fragmented nature of supply base triggers high competition
- Competition is majorly on volume and price among small and medium players
Threat of Substitutes
- PET bottles with increased barrier properties and flexible packaging formats, like pouches, are emerging as an alternative to HDPE bottles in multiple end-use segments in personal care and home care
- Buyer has better bargaining power, due to huge quantity requirement from fragmented market and low supplier switching cost in the emerging region
- Agrochemical, industrial, automotive buyer's of HDPE container will have better leverage, owing to the less complexity of product and lenient quality constraints