Bag in Box EMEA Market Trends
Category Intelligence on Bag in Box EMEA covers the following
- Information relating to market, supply, cost, and pricing analysis
- Hard to find data on cost and TCO models, supplier details, and performance benchmarks
- Macroeconomic and regional trends impacting cost, supply, and other market dynamics
- Category-specific negotiation and sourcing advice
Industry Outlook & Drivers
Regional Market Outlook on Bag-in-Box
Bag and tap are an integral part of the production process, these are highly customized and very specific to the buyers need. Hence, bag converters provide the bag-in-box packaging with tap attached. Their power in the supply chain is fairly higher compared to a standardized carton manufacturer.
Value Chain Analysis – Bag-in-Box
Value creation is the highest in integrated model due to the critical importance of package being in contact with product. Furthermore, most of the innovations are centered around bags which increases their power in the value chain.
Global Market Outlook-Bag-in-Box
The bag-in-box wine packaging market is expected to grow by 4 percent until 2020. Apart from wine, bag-in-box packaging is making significant in-roads in various other end-uses including the recent innovation from Smurfit Kappa for motor oils.
- Alcoholic beverages are the primary growth drivers for bag-in-box market, especially wine packaging which is expected to grow by 4 percent during 2016-2021
- Latin America is expected to post fastest growth at 8 percent for the next five years followed by China in Asia-Pacific
- Consumption from North America and Europe is expected to remain high for bag-in-box containers with its penetration to various other end-uses including paints, chemicals etc.
- Within food and beverage segment, packaging alcoholic beverages accounted for nearly 60 percent share in bag in box packaging
- Household products like liquid detergents are likely to adopt bag-in-box containers which drives the growth of the segment by 8.5-9 percent during the next 3-5 years
Market Outlook for Bag-in-Box – Europe
Engaging with integrated global players like Smurfit Kappa or Rapak (DS Smith) provides cost advantages and introduction of innovative products in the market. The market also has a good mix of regional players eliminating any risk of supply shortage.Wine packaging is the primary driver for bag-in-box packaging within Europe. This is expected to increase by 2-3 percent during the next five years.
Market Outlook for Bag-in-Box – Africa
African wine consumption is expected to increase by 33 percent during the next 5-7 years. South Africa is the largest market within Africa, with wine consumption growing by 6-7 percent in 2016
•There has been more than 14 percent growth over the last two year in local wine sales, with bag-in-box packaging playing a vital role
•Growth in sales is directly proportional to the adoption and increase of bag-in-box packaging, this serves as a cost effective alternative to other packaging formats
•South Africa is a dominant market (75 percent of Africa's wine demand) followed by Angola and Tanzania. Growing consumption of wine and introduction of premium brands through bag-in-boxes facilitate growth in these countries
- Wine is the major end-use market for bag-in-box application within Africa, adoption to other end-uses such as dairy and water has been minimal
- South Africa is expected to lead the growth of bag-in-box wine packaging at 3-4 percent for the next three to five years
Raw Material Supply
- Lack of new production methods, product quality and scale of operations with poor governmental support has led to domestic production being superseded by imports
- Nigeria continues to be a major polymers export destination along with growing imports from Egypt and South Africa. This is expected to attract attention from global polymer producers to invest in this region
- Supply base is consolidated with one or two global players catering to most of the “box wine” demand from this region
- As the market is moving towards catering the global scenario, competition is driven by ability to provide innovative and sustainable solutions
- Global players like Amcor and Liqui-Box are acquiring regional players like Nampak and Maverick to increase their regional foot-print and rise with the growing demand